Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: New Dell XPS 15z (L511z) Wireless Card Issues

I'm returning mine today, I had it for less than 21 days and going through this forum now, I'm so frustrated that Dell hasn’t resolve this issues for months!!.. I wasn't even able to download the drivers in this computer since it keeps dropping the wireless connection!! Also the speakers had this terrible sound with static all the time. We have some of the top line Dell desktops at work and I had very good experience with the brand, but I think this will be the end. I have the same question than others, why is Dell selling computers being aware that they have major problems….. Good luck to all of you with this issue, now I’ll try to find something similar (No Dell again), will be difficult, I really liked the XPS 15Z.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have noticed that whenever I have a torrent-program active the disconnections from the WiFi are much more frequent. Do you guys have the same problem with torrents active?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Honestly i'm not so much disapointed at the laptop issue, because it can happen to all in this business, even to the best. What makes a difference is how that company handles the issue and its customer that makes the whole company to exist in the first place, and thats whats bothering me because Dell FAILS miserable at taking care of its customer.

Its now about three months since i received this laptop and directly i noticed the issue but i had a hard time convincing them to send out a new wifi card (intel 6300) because the system was too new for them(Dell Sweden) to admiting there was an issue. I used this forum as a reference where a Dell technichan(Terry) had confirmed the issue, so i finally got the wifi replacement but after testing it i still had the same issues so i had to send the laptop in for an antenna replacement. When i got my laptop back, besides having the same issue it now also wasn`t correctly assembled.

They refused to refund me and told me i just had to live with it!?! but i did`t agree to that and after numerous hours of waiting in cues and talking to different technicans (well stupid of me not writing up their names directly) they told me that there was a possibility to get my money back if the European office agreed to it. I even agreed to swop the xps to an alienware at that stage because i really needed a working system, they were happy about that but told me i probably had to pay the difference between the systems and i was fine with that.

Well i thought that would speed up things but i was way off because a Dell technichan stationed in South Africa called me up and asked me if i was willing to do more tests to try to solve this issue but at that time at least here in Sweden, Dell had a campaign on their alienware laptops that would almost match what i had to pay for my XPS. He convinced me that it doesn`t matter because if it came to a swap, Dell would swap my system to an system that at least had same specs or better if they didn`t have the specific spec. Well i agreed to let him try to solve the issue because he told me if not succesful he would put an order for alienware the oncoming week. The issue didn`t get solved and the week passed, so i then asked to get the swop and a swop i got but to a new xps 15z. That really anoyed me because the technicans and i already came to a conclusion that would only put me back to square one again. I told the technicans that i was upset about that and i only thought they were trying to buy time by doing so and demanded i either get a alienware or a refund. He told me he would contact the right people about that but after 2 weeks i still got the xps 15z replacement with the same issues.

Now he is finally telling me that a refund is likely to happend but highly recommends a alienware swop BUT i have to stand for the differences!!!

Is it ok to waste customers time and patiance by giving out misleading information??

Sorry about the long complaint but i had to get it off my chest and hopefully there is people at Dell that cares and do something about their technichans/customer care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Is there a way we can be notified of when the drivers are ready? Or do I have to come back to the forum everyday?

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've reinstalled all drivers and disabled bluetooth and still nothing. Any further suggestions?

I thought my system OS being set to French when the laptop arrived was going to be the only thing Dell got wrong with the z15. Wow I was wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm going through the same nightmare. I finally opened the third laptop they sent me (replacement of a replacement - first laptop bought in June 2011) and FINALLY it worked really well, UNTIL 3 days after I bought it. Then, nothing else is working. I can't access my yahoo mail, my facebook account, my vpn access to work (I work part time from home), etc. The technician said that we have to reset everything AGAIN!! Another 6 hours... It's funny because I was also offered a swap and cried when I saw that it was the same XPS 15z. Is this not clear I WANT A REFUND!!! I have to work with my 10 year old laptop. Is this normal after I've paid 1700$ for this laptop???  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@aarondwyer: you can get an RSS feed for your system that will be updated when the new drivers release.  the last time new drivers released, TerryB posted in the Community Forum about a day before the RSS feed updated.  You could try this URL for an RSS feed:

support.dell.com/.../rssoptions

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Also purchased a 15z recently.  WIFI problems

User reported blue screens... BSOD.  Ran the minidumps through Windows Debugger and it blamed the WiFi driver.

Went to dell site and grabbed latest 14.2.0.10 A03 and the bluetooth and driver and installed.

Issue persists only on Wireless and only on our Proxim Orinoco AP-2000 access points.  User does not get blue screen on other AP's so far or when WiFi is disabled.

Called support.... no comment worth posting..

Tried full system restore, still user will get occasional blue screens

Called support.... got them to replace the card.

Card replaced... latest drivers...  

Reg setting for APMMode set - 0

Roam Aggressiveness setting -  2 med low

Transmit power - 5 max

Allow the computer to sleep this device UNchecked

Anyone else getting blue screens or just poor performance?

Ill let you know if the problem persists in a few days.

DELL really your shipping these things with this garbage hardware in them??? REALLY?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Does anyone know what is an alternative replacement wireless card that can be fitted to the XPS 15Z?

If the custom Intel one that ships isn't ok, there must be another wireless card that would work?

My percent of wireless card working to not working has dropped since after the first week of the using the new drivers, and is now 60% working / 40% not working which is not good. I'm relying on my backup 3G wireless modem.

I'd rather just get a totally different type of wireless network card replacement. Would that help?

At this point I just want it working. I'd prefer to do that than taking 3 days to transfer my programs and files to a new laptop machine.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have been having the same issue with my Dell XPS 15 (L502x) since I received the first machine back on September 1st, 2011. At first I didn't have the 6230 card, I had the one below it with BT. Right out of the box I would get max speeds of maybe 2Mb/s to a Speedtest.net server hosted in my same city on the same ISP. I called Dell and they told me I "Got what I paid for" because of it being the low end card. After about 24 hours of actual time on the phone with Dell technical support they finally agreed to upgrade the system to the 6230.

A technician came out and upgraded the card and yet the issue was still unresolved. I called Dell again and ended up spending another 48 hours of time on the phone with them allowing them every opportunity to repair the issue or at least recognize there was a problem, they couldn't fic it and decided to send a replacement computer out. I received that on September 14th, 2011 and the motherboard failed within 6 hours of receipt. Infuriated, I called Dell again and after a week or so (and many false promises of contact) I was contacted by corporate escalations and they agreed to send me another replacement this time with upgraded CPU, Soundblaster Xi-Fi, face recognition and everything my original system had as a way of apologizing for the issues. I was assured the system would work to spec when received.

Well I took delivery of that system on October 11th, 2011 and here I am still having to hard-line to the internet because the WiFi card still doesn't work. Better still, they sent me the system without a 9-cell battery or a Backlit keyboard (both were options I selected on the original build). A technician is apparently coming out today to swap the keyboard but with everything I have seen about "repairs" on here it seems they break them more often than fix them.

I spent over $1600 on this system and expect it to work correctly out of the box! The newest replacement system didn't even have the updated WiFi drivers which I found out about on this forum. After installing them I notice no change in the poor WiFi performance and I am less than 5 feet away from my router. My router is a cable modem with a combine 4 port router and WiFI provided by Eastlink (Motorola is the manufacturer). I know the router isn't at fault because my girlfriend's 2 year old HP has no trouble maxing out our paid for speeds of 20Mb/s DL and 2Mb/s upload.

As this has been my first experience  as a customer with Dell (I was an HP man before, even worked for them for 5 years) I will never purchase another of their products and unless this issue is resolved in the next week I will be returning everything for a full refund and buying an MSI system. At least they work and for the same price I will get better specs.

I have 15+ years of experience in the IT industry and have NEVER seen such a spectacle as this one. Dell owes EVERY customer that has been affected by this an explanation and a working fix immediately. Any other company would have done so by now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Blue screens continue.  One while computer was unattended, and right after it came back up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Can someone tell me if the following cards would work in the XPS 15 (L502x)?

Intel® Advanced N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology

Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video

They are from the Alienware line but apparently those with Alienware do not experience the WiFi issues we XPS owners suffer from.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Few days ago I've received my Dell XPS 15 (LX502) with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 and I had the same problem as you guys. I've tried every single advice which was posted here but without luck. Today I've speak for almost 2 hours with Dell trying to solve this issue but no luck here. I've just got home and an brilliant idea flashed me :)) what will happen if will change the antenna cables (the with one in the black slot and black one in to the white) and surpriseeee my issue was fixed. I can finally enjoy the experience with my new laptop :))).

Even if is the most stupidest solution I wish that for all of you guys, this one will also do the trick. Good luck guys!

P.S. I'm very serious and this reply is no joke, but now I wonder how many of you will look for a screwdriver after they read my post....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Can we please have an update on this Dell? This issue should have been resolved weeks ago, if there is no forthcoming solution I will definitely be claiming my money back and moving to another brand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

My XPS 15z arrived today and I'm experiencing the same issues. Frequent(every 10-30s) wireless packetloss, resulting into timeouts and lowered overall throughput by a factor 10.

I did find out though that after installing nvidia's latest drivers the behavior changed. When im using the discrete gpu only, the speed is normal (1.5MB/s), but from the second i start a nvidia gpu accelerated program the speed drops instantly to 100KB/s. When i close the program the speed goes up again, its reproducable across multiple download sources and multiple programs utilizing the gpu.

Seems to me like a driver issue.

Hope this helps....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Did you ever get this resolved and if so, how long did it take you to get it resolved?  Seems like people are still posting with the same issues on this computer.  I was considering purchasing but not so sure any more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

At lease in my case I was able to disable the bluetooth, and the wireless N capabilities of the card through the device manager and that fixed my problems.

I am more than happy to run at wireless G speeds and without bluetooth until this driver issue is fixed, because this is otherwise a brilliant laptop.

(having same issues on L502X)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Andrew Glover, can you detail what steps you took to disable the bluetooth, and wireless N (not sure what that means)

Do you mean go into the device manager and change the properties of the intel centrino advanced 6230, under advanced tab, disable bluetooth?

And are you talking about wireless mode, and just forcing it to 802.11g?

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I followed the steps outlined by Beef Chump on page 12 of this thread,

located here

en.community.dell.com/.../19929667.aspx.

I am using the 14.2.0.10 driver on the Intel N1030 card.

If you go to device manager, select the "intel centrion wireless-N N1030" entry and choose properties, change to the advanced tab and disable "bluetooth AMP" and "802.11n Mode". Also change "wireless mode" to "3. 802.11b/g".

Close/apply those changes and go back to device manager, Under "network adapters" disable,

"Bluetooth device (Personal area network)" and "Blueooth device (RFCOMM protocol TDI)"

I did not disable any other references to bluetooth in device manager and did not change my wireless channel and it seems to have solved my problems.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Andrew Glover, thanks for the detailed help. I've now disabled bluetooth and set a fixed wireless mode. Unfortuantely that hasn't helped my problem. Looks like I'll just have to wait for the driver update.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Terry: Don't know if you are still around. I just received the XPS 15" and I have the same problem. I cannot connect to the internet. The machine connects to my wireless network but won't connect to the internet. my other two laptops and my tablet (MacBook Pro 15" & HP Elitebook & Nook Color tablet) have no problem. When I connect with a cable still can't connect. Have spent several long hours on three occassions with Dell Support with no solutions and no suggestions on how to resolve this issue. After 48 hours it is in the box headed back to Dell tomorrow. which is two bad. Other than the connectivity issue I really liked this machine. I have been buying Dell equipment for 15 years. This is my last purchase. Paid for the top of the line model, it does not work and DELL no solutions other than wasting hours upon hours of my time. Off to the Apple store tomorrow. If anybody is thinkin of buying the XPS machine please check the internet. Many, many Dell customers have this problem and it has been going on for months. Dell has done nothing to fix the problem, but continues to sell the versions wioth the problem;.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm curious, has anyone checked to see if it's a router compatibility issue?  I purchased a refurbished 15z i5, and it works perfectly, including the BT.

Just before I got it, I had replaced my D-Link DIR-655 with an Asus RT-N56U because of problems I was having with my iPad 2 staying connected and had read of others having the same problem with the 655.  With the Asus, my iPad now stays connected with 5 bars all the time.

Of coarse the 15z should work with all standards routers, it's not a new technology, but knowing that is the issue would help solve the problem.

What wireless routers are those of you, with problems, using?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

I am afraid that I don't have a lot of news regarding the Centrino 6230 on the XPS 15.  From my information Intel has been working on the issue directly and presumably new drivers are on the way.  I still have no ETA when the new drivers may be released. What I got from most of you that are still having problems with the WIFI card is that the connection is better using a Wireless G network and the Bluetooth adapter was disabled.  

I know many of you have had better success over some routers than others.  This was Intel’s, original suggestion updating the firmware on your current router or trying other routers.  If you have the option then I certainly suggest trying other routers and see if WIFI performance increases.

I apologize for not having anything new today. Please be assured that as soon as I get any status changes, I will post first here about it.

Thank You

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Terry - it is now late October.  I am (was?) considering buying a 15z, but if the wireless issues have not been resolved, there is no point in getting it.

So... has Dell + Intel solved the issues?  I have an "N" router and was planning on the "better" (not so much) wireless card, so I am in the not-so-sweet spot of the issues.

Can we get an update on this thread? Please tell us that the issue is resolved!  If not, what is the ETA for the fix? It's been almost FIVE MONTHS.

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just saw on the Dell Facebook page they are pushing XPS 14z saying cnet gave it a 4 out 5 stars. Does the 14z have a whole different wifi card? Does it have the same issues and cnet is over looking them if the 14z doesn't have any issues we should all get the new card for free. I'm interested to see what the answer is

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

15z is well-rated too - funny that reviewers did not have these issues...

I personally don't want a smaller screen, so the 14z won't be my system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

"Built-in Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity" is quoted in the Press Release for the XPS 14Z.

The OP stated "...the L511z configuration which includes a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230..."

It is pretty much impossible for Dell to have fixed a problem found in the XPS 15z before engineering freeze on the XPS 14z.  Production cycles are faster these days, but still takes a long time to get parts and assemble them for worldwide availabilty on 15 November.

What will be interesting and probably never known by those outside Dell and Intel is whether the software fix that is promised is a workaround for a hardware design decision (either in the chipset or in the integration with the other components) or a fix for what is really a software problem.

If the XPS 14z doesn't have this problem, then perhaps it is because of the possible different antenna configuration that may come with the different screen design ("The 14-inch HD display easily fits into a 13-inch laptop form factor – while offering 10 percent more viewing area than a 13.3” display.").  I'm curious, but I guess we'll have to wait for someone to receive an XPS 14z and test it.  Perhaps this is my long-awaited real replacement for the Studio XPS 13.  But after my experience with this XPS 15z, I can guarantee that I'll be waiting awhile before trying it.  I'm not interested in being a beta-tester of any more of Dell's cutting edge designs (and no, I'm not talking about those burrs on the metallized plastic base cover where it snapped off the sprue).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Just out of curiousity...for those of you still having the issues with the XPS 15 (L502x) and 15z...have any of you had the system opened by a technician to have parts replaced?  Reason I'm asking...I have an XPS 15 (L502x) and was having problems with my wireless, also a 6230.  My problem was not dropping wifi, but complete freezes of the system while in idle mode (for the most part, sometimes while on the internet.)  Anyway, at one point in the troubleshooting process, I lost G networks.  My system would only find N networks.  When the tech came to replace my wireless card, he found that one of my antenna ends was fried...well, when he came to fix the fried antennae, he found that my system had been built incorrectly.  To replace the wireless antenna, he had to replace the whole back of the laptop screen.  When he pulled the back off my screen, he noted that there was only ONE antenna going around the outside edge of my screen...there were supposed to be TWO.  The new back that he was shipped to replace had antenna wires running down BOTH sides of the screen instead of ONE.  Just curious if this could be an issue with those of you still experiencing wifi drops and such.  Replacing the screen back and therefore giving me the 2 antenna wires I was supposed to have did not fix my problem with freezeups.  It allowed my system to find G networks again...but the drivers released in September seemed to have cured my problems (crosses fingers that once I say it, it doesn't go wonky again!)  Maybe it's a combination?  Just throwing it out there as something to look at!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi all

I just got a 15z with same issuesusing a Bob IINet Belkin router.

Has Intel Centrino Advanced N6230 Network Adapter

Losing wifi connection about every 30 minutes. emoticon.Sad.title

However I have managed to stable it if you don’t use blue tooth

Download new latest Wifi and Bluetooth drivers (see Dell-Terry B link)

Uninstalled the current Wifi and Bluetooth

restarted

reinstalled new blue tooth driver

restarted

reinstalled new Wifi driver

restarted

then I uninstalled (yes get rid of them) the current Wifi and Bluetooth

In advanced power management set to maximum performance

restarted

It now works fine, stable !!

However if seems a bit slow (ping your router) then went into device manager and set the card advanced properties to:

Disable 802.11n mode

Disable Bluetooth AMP

Set wireless mode to 802.11 b/g

(As per Slow Roast recommendations)

Now light speed and no crashing..

Sqishy emoticon.Cool.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello there!

Well, since 08-19-2011 when I configurated my XPS 15z (I posted here about it) as Sqishy said on the previous post, I don't have problems anymore.

But if you guys still have problems, I suggest you to buy a wireless adapter (USB) while Intel doesn't release the new drivers.

These adapters are really cheap.

Take care and good luck to all!

sambhbr

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

Hello All

I have heard word from engineering that a new driver for the Centrino 6230 on the XPS 15z will be released shortly.  The driver is set up to correct speed and connection issues with wireless N networks.  I will post again once the drivers are posted.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This is great news Terry, thank you for letting us know.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Terry:

Thank-you for working diligently on this issue. I spent almost $2,000 for a laptop that did not work, and I didn't have the time and want to spend the effort to troubleshoot settings on a brand new laptop. Even though I really liked the laptop, and I have been a Dell customer for more than 15 years, after three days I sent the laptop back. That was after spending hours on the phone on three different occassions with Dell technical support who did not seem to have any idea there was a systemic issue.

I ponied up and bought the new Apple Macbook Pro.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well after reading many professional reviews the Dell xps 15z stood out in my mind as a quality notebook.  The specs are on par if not better than a MacBook pro or most other pc competitors in the price range and form factor. As a result I decided to purchase from Dell's Outlet store and found myself a loaded machine (i5, 6gb memory, 2 gb video, 1080p screen, 750gb HD and the dreaded Centrino 6230 wifi card) for $679.20 which includes a 20% dell coupon.  That's almost 45% off retail and looks brand new!!!

In fact, I didn't even see this thread until after I opened and unpacked the box, needless to say i was a bit worried what I would find.  I've put the machine through its paces updated a few drivers too and happy to report this thing works perfectly.

I've simultaneously downloaded 300 meg files, enjoyed YouTube music videos and browsed the Internet with absolutely no disruption of service.  If it helps in these discussions my router is a Cisco E4200 dual band.  I really like this machine for the looks and performance.  

The only thing keeping this from receiving five stars for me is the fact there's no blue ray player.  Come'on Dell, I'm sure someone can source one for you that will fit under the hood.

It seems Dell has listened to the community here which hopefully had some contribution in getting drivers released to the public.  I'm on my fourth Dell product in 15 years and have had nothing but great customer service and product performance.  This Dell XPS 15z is no exception, it's just too bad it took Dell this long to react to others customers technical issues.  They could have done better...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thats all well and good, but I'm not connecting to a wireless-N network and still have the same issues. Is it going to fix other faults? I had a replacement card fitted which helped slightly, but this card is still making my WLAN drop to 1-2MBps rather than the 54 it should be broadcasting at due to bad drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I couldn't agree with you more that Dell has come out with a mac basher at a very attractive price, especially because I got the same deal you received through the outlet.  I am sad to say, however, there are some major issues that will keep it at a great distance from being what it should be.  The issues I have experienced so far include:  jumping cursor position while typing, no support for many video and audio codecs out of the box, strange BSOD crashing, and the worst, so far, the terrible wireless performance.  This machine downloads at it's best performance at 300mbps (I think that is the way to describe the speed) while my other laptops are 600 to 700mbps.  It doesn't stay connected either so the net result is in reality less than half of the best speed.  I've went to Intel's site and downloaded their latest driver for the wireless chipset, disabled the bluetooth, disabled the n-spectrum, and that seemed to help a little bit.  This is just not right for a "statement" product from a long-standing leader in pcs!!!  While I can't argue with the price I got the machine at I'm beginning to see that the bargain I thought I had snagged was more of a headache and, worst case, money wasted.  I hope to be able to adjust the cursor's software to fix that problem.  I downloaded a codec pack and Media Play Class ic to fix the Windows Media Player's hideous performance, and I'm hopeful Dell is going to step up to the plate and get the proper driver to fix all of the wireless/bluetooth problems.  I've never owned a Mac, but many of the sales reps who call on me do.  I asked a couple if they ever experienced any of these, or other, problems and guess what?  None, not a single one, said they ever even had to downoad anything, a driver or a program, to make their laptops work.  The can even access my wireless network and printers at my business with no drivers or software...Only by me giving them my password!  That's so impressive I won't even try to describe it in words.  Macs work period and all computers should be made to the standard that they work out of the box regardless of cost.  Don't you agree?  You don't want to know how many times while I was typing this I had to manually reposition the cursor and fix words the jumping cursor edited, I stopped counting when I got to 20. 

Now, I love the aesthetics and the screen, I even like the keyboard...But, these problems are simplly inexcusable.  Dell please help us!!!

Finally, you're absolutely right regarding the Blu-Ray drive.  There is a 9.5mm BD-ROM drive and Lenovo has it.  It is not compatible with Dell due to being a tray-loader, but that means there is a manufacturer who can make a 9.5mm drive and I know it could be also manufactured as a slot-load if Dell approached whoever the vendor is with the buying power that the Dell Corporation has.  It seems a gross oversight they didn't demand this as they could have converted so many Mac users who are having to use USB outboard BD drives and who can't get FLASH support.  Just that market alone would generate an extra several thousand units shifted!  Dell, you  have to come out with a slot-loadin BD-ROM for all of us, PLEASE!  We are ready to buy it to retrofit e our machines and I'm sure that when you combine all of us with the number of new units you'll move by offering a BD option you'll be overjoyed by the results.  Dell, please fix our wireless and give us the BD option.  I'll stayed tuned if I don't have to send my laptop back in exasperation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I agree, these problems are inexcusable. The longer I have this laptop, the more disappointed in it I am. This is the last Dell I will ever purchase, seriously. Dell had a chance to really shine on this one, but not only are there all these problems with the wireless, the keyboard, etc., but now the fan is running the whole time I'm playing a simple Java game online.

Even worse than all these problems, is Dell's reluctance to come clean and recall these laptops, fix the problems and give us what we thought we were buying, but they even seem to be continuing to deny that problems exist.

As I've read this thread and continued responses over the weeks and months since I first posted here, I'm truly amazed that anyone would buy one of these now. Buyer Beware!!!! I'll never forget when I called them about the wireless issues and the person I talked to was completely unhelpful. It looks like that hasn't changed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'll unsubscribe now and just watch the RSS feed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Terry, hello,

Do you know how this issue affects the new 14z laptop?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I rang Dell last week about this issue, expecting to get a new wireless card sent out. Instead they changed a few settings. To my surprise, it seems to have actually solved the issue.

I'm sure you all know the drill by now with regards to changing settings (Device Manager -> Intel Centrino 6230 -> Properties). The support agent changed the channel to 11, and also got me to change the channel of my router to the same. Along with this, Roaming Aggressiveness was set to "5. Highest" where previously it was not set to anything.

That's all, and I'm getting normal expected range and speed now, with pings to my router generally around 1ms. There still appears to be a higher than normal packet loss (5% in a quick test), but I couldn't say for sure if that was due to the wireless card. Certainly an improvement on previous occasions where I was getting pings upward of 2000ms sometimes.

I would have thought Roaming Aggressiveness related to how quickly the card would switch to a different access point, but I have no other access points I connect to in range and it is not switching.

Hopefully this will help some of you out there, it has been a very frustrating issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi All

I recently bought a dell xps 15 notebook through dell website.

I'm experiencing wifi issues as well, as a matter of fact my centrino 6230 is unexpectedly slower than my eeepc 1201 'atheros' wifi in the same conditions. When I say slower, it's exactly 5x slower! Windows 7 shows a 300mbits connection to the router (while eeepc's is 150mbits) but when downloading files (different websites used), the dell cannot go over 10mbits/s (~1 MB/s) while the eeepc reaches 4,5MB/s.

As other customers here I would not suggest anyone to buy a dell xps. Instead, HP or even asus seems much more reliable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

blueovalfan, can you tell us which speed you reach when downloading your files? the issues are not only regarding service disruption but also with poor download speed compared with specifications.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I can confirm from my own experience with my new XPS 14z (only 24 hours old), there are wireless issues for sure. Very disappointing and frustrating. Massively so. And it appears there is no solid solution availble, just a bunch of hacks and tweaks that may help. Call me crazy but it shouldn't be like this.

I should confirm, my system (XPS 14z) uses a Intel Centrino 6230 wireless card. I have tried disabling Bluetooth, which possibly helps, but have not tried disabling wireless N connections. But most definitely there are wireless issues--both when plugged in and when on battery power. Seems worse on battery. When it falters, EXTREMELY low wireless speeds result. As in a simple web page (Google.com) will take up to 1 minute to fully load.

Let's hope the fix happens even faster now that we are looking at TWO great product concepts that could have their reputation ruined.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

For speeds (as I have just moved house I thought I'd check out if my internet was slow or it was just this laptop as usual) I have made a couple of graphs showing transition from ethernet to wireless on this laptop

First, from wireless to ethernet:

I guess it's fairly needless to say where the transition point is. This is with the recommended settings applied and wireless N disabled, with my laptop 8m from the router.

Now for ethernet to wireless:

The first (black circled) transition is disconnecting the ethernet with wireless N enabled while 0.5m from the router. This gives quite a high speed. However, the blue region is with my laptop about 8 metres away, in my room with 4 bars signal. Essentially I can either have wireless N enabled and leave my laptop next to the router, have wireless N disabled, leave my laptop in my room but get 1/3rd of my internet's line speed, or leave my laptop connected via ethernet. All poor choices, Dell PLEASE fix this issue, you have had an abundance of time and I am getting pretty fed up with this.

I have had my connection drop twice while writing this message, 1m from router with wireless N enabled.

All with up to date drivers and recommended settings. Pathetic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

At this point maybe going to the media is the only way they will do anything.  We have been waiting forever and they are still pushing these laptops in stores etc.

I know magazines like Maximum PC have watchdog sections where they will go after companies are not standing behind their products/promises.  Maybe we should write them...  I never thought I would suggest that about Dell 😞

www.maximumpc.com/.../contact

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

On average I get about 150Mbps, but often see upto 300Mbps.

I believe this is inline with intel's advertisement for this device (300Mbps).

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi BLUEOVALFAN, thanks for this feedback.

However the speed displayed by windows is quite a poor way to mesure effective network speed. In my case too the speeds are 150 and 300Mbps on my eeepc and dell respectively. Then when downloading "real" files, the eeepc is unexpectedly 4 times faster.

You can peform a wifi download/upload test on http://www.speedtest.net/, ideally with two different computers.

0 Kudos