Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-02-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

Replies (79)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Agreed. I've tried different Linux distros and the problem is still there. I bought the "Developer Edition" model and it is still plagued with this issue. I'm considering returning it if a fix doesn't come out soon.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Facing this issue since a month now.  Screen brightness gradually reduces to the lowest setting possible and comes back again to full brightness (my preferred setting.)   I have noticed that the fade happens when we switch to a dark page/video/image etc., and the return to full brightness happens when a 'whiter' page/video/image is on the screen.

DELL?

I have the XPS 15, had it for 4 years now, never had this issue before, but am tearing my hair because of this issue since a month or so now.  I have done everything that has been suggested on most of the forums, but nothing helps!!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I was just about to order an XPS13 until I saw the Anandtech review.  It sounds similar to the "local dimming" feature on LCD TVs in an attempt to improve black levels but it seems to be full screen dimming which is not a very clever idea.  Most TVs give you the option to turn off that feature as it can be quite annoying.

It's a deal breaker for me because it makes it impossible to do an accurate color calibration...which is a shame because the QHD+ screen has a decent color gamut.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

To be clear, there is no solution to this problem. No amount of software configuration will fix it. Dell engineers have confirmed that this behavior is controlled by the display firmware.

Last I heard, Dell is working on exposing a switch in the BIOS that would disable the adaptive contrast feature, although they would not give an ETA on when that BIOS update would be available. (source)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've got the same issue with my new Inspiron 7548 with a 4k screen. Adaptive brightness that can't be disabled. Very noticeable when unplugged and I picked it up when I calibrated my screen with a colormunki display. Output dropped from 120cd/m2 to 100cd/m2 from beginning to end of calibration. Hopefully Dell will introduce a firmware update for the Inspirno model too.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The adaptive brightness feature is also driving me crazy and has me about to return my XPS 13 9343 unless at least an ETA on a BIOS update can be given if not the actual update. I cannot edit pictures on this device as I don't trust it's brightness settings.

Thanks

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

<No not a fact, simply your opinion>. Dell will bring no BIOS updates for the problem. Otherwise, the Accu will not hold any more so long.
Also Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux can change in it nothing.

Even if the Accu is not used, the adaptive brightness remains active.
400 cd / m² of brightness even in the full image mode with a white completely picture.

In the desktop mode with normal window only one brightness of 200-250 cd / m² at most.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

That is a fact.
Confirmed by the Dell Support.
Also this FHD display is only 350 cd / m2 maximum brightness.
Only the QHD + should ever 400cd / m2 reach.
Maximum brightness is my Full HD XPS with only 248 cd / m2.
And that's a fact and documented.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I don't give a *** about the above I just want my monitor to stay at 120cd/m2  or whatever I want when I set it there!!! In other words I don't want a hidden Dell program deciding, arbitrarily, what the the brightness should be and not allowing me to shut it down!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

If you do not want then sell the XPS and come over to Apple.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor