Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-02-2017 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

New XPS 13 unable to disable adaptive brightness

I am unable to disable the adaptive brightness on the i5 HD 5500 1080p version of the new XPS 13.

When I view a dark page, the screen will dim, and when I view a bright page, the screen will get brighter. This is extremely annoying and all the options I've tried have not fixed this issue at all.

Turning off the enable adaptive brightness option in the advanced power settings does nothing. I have this done on all power plans.

The option for disabling it that should be in the Intel Graphics Driver does not exist.

Disabling the Sensor Monitoring Service doesn't fix it either.

I have the latest version of the Intel Graphics drivers. Uninstalling it doesn't fix it either.

Installing another operating system doesn't fix it either, so I'm assuming this is some sort of hardware problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this annoying issue?

Replies (79)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Do you just DL it and unzip it and that's it? Or do you have to pick a certain file out of that zip and stick it somewhere else?

I have an XPS-15 and along with the 4k reflective screen (horrible) this brightness issue is a PITA

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just had a chat with a dell representative over their chat support. They have confirmed that the adaptive brightness can be turned off via BIOS on the xps 13 FHD screen models as well. The technical support would ask for access to the device and fix the issue.

Has anyone else got a similar response or managed to get the issue fixed by this method?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just chatted with a Dell Representative via their chat support.

He confirmed that the adaptive brightness can be changed on the FHD model as well via BIOS of the system. This would be done by their tech support team provided the user gives them access to the system. Has anyone else got a similar feedback .

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

can anyone confirm this works??

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I didn't get so far with Dell support; they still requiring access to the laptop to click on some settings...

Finally they asked me to do a video of the issue which I did: 

Here is the URL for doing the test: http://tylerwatt12.com/dc/

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Send video is issue, A week of back and forth with support doing driver updates and complete windows re-installs and no fix so far.

Apparently their unit in the lab doesn't show this behaviour and 'new' units don't have this problem (Mine was build late June) but they cant confirm what 'new' means. Will probably end up sending the laptop back so they can investigate.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Just looking for confirmation that no solution has ever been found for FHD panels?

Are there at least some settings or maybe BIOS update that can mitigate the problem? Just to understand if it's worth to waste more time with this issue updating all the drivers and BIOS or not, I just got it second hand and I'm planning to sell it back if the issue stays as it is now.

I have an XPS 13 9343.

Thank you

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

No solution for FHD panels. Dell has not and will not release any firmware updates because it is not possible to update the screen FW via software.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thank you. No way to mitigate it either?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

None that I could find myself or by anyone else online. Basically gave my laptop away after trying to deal with Adaptive brightness, coilwhine and dead pixels which kept coming up after multiple panel replacements.YMMV

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor