Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2013 17:00

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_

Hi,

I was in the middle of a PPT presentation when my two month old Inspiron 15R froze and would not respond. I tried pressing the power button to make it shut down, hoping it would restart normally, but it did not.

I kept seeing the Dell logo (without any progress bar), then a screen that said:

Checking media [Fail]

Checking media

I ran a diagnostic and got this error message:

Error Code: 2000-0142

Validation 110046

Msg: Hard Drive 0 – S/N W0V5LRGX, Short self test unsuccessful.

Following instructions on the Dell Support websites, as well as the Dell Community I tried a few things:

1. I reset BIOS defaults
  2. I reseated the hard drive
  3. I tried following the instructions at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19477320/20234737.aspx#20234737 but these didn't seem to work for my computer... maybe because I can't change the SATA mode to Intel Smart Response Technology... all I see under "SATA Operation" is AHCI or ATA

After trying all this, my computer now shows the Dell logo with the blue progress bar. Then it switches to a black screen with some product information. At the bottom of this screen is says:

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

HELP!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 12th, 2013 17:00

Hi HlliW,

I really appreciate that you have perform few steps; the 0142 error code indicates that the hard drive has failed. Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

February 22nd, 2014 09:00

Hi

We seem to have a Hard drive 1 failure of our Alienware laptop. We run a diagnostics and a error code 2000-0145 appeared. We are extremely concerned that we might have lost valuable files. Any hint?

Pavlos + Nora

1 Message

February 17th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

I installed Kaspersky antivirus on my dell laptop and it identified a couple of files as potential threats and I deleted them without verifying. I could not restart my computer and used when I performed the diagnostics test, I got the following:

ERROR CODE : 2000-0142

VALIDATION 128998

MSG ; HARD DRIVE 0 – S/N S3P55TK7, SHORT SELF TEST UNSUCCESSFUL

I ordered a HDD online and I got it yesterday ( SEAGATE LAPTOP THIN HDD, 500 GB 5400 RPM, FIRMWARE : 0001SDM1) and replaced it but now I am unable to boot. Its says "No boot device detected. Hit any key to reboot" and then it keeps going in circles.

I performed a long diagnostic test again last night (it took almost 2 hours) and the results were successful. But, still why would my laptop not boot??

Please advise.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Srinivasan.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 17th, 2016 13:00

Did you install Windows onto the new hard drive?

If not, that's what you'll need to do.  The new drive is blank -- it needs an OS loaded onto it.

13 Posts

November 5th, 2016 06:00

Was facing the same error. Bought a new hard drive and installed it. Went into bios and made to boot from cd drive as OS is not installed. Inserted the windows disk that came along with my laptop and when I switch on the laptop I am taken to below screen

Intel UNDI, PXE 2.0(build 083)

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Bigfoot PCIE Ethernet Controller V2.1.1.1(02.09.12)

Check cable connection!

PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

No Events found!