Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2012 15:00

No sound on TV when using TV with HDMI cable

Hi,

I'm using an Inspiron 1564 and I just tri ed to watch a movie from Internet on my TV

I checked with configuration panel the sound output on HDMI connection, it was activated but not connected and, of course, I got no sound on my TV set.

What did I forget in order to have the sound over HDMI ?

Sorry for my bad english and many thanks for any help

Phil

107 Posts

June 5th, 2012 19:00

On some machines a restart is required after changing the setting before the sound works.

113 Posts

June 5th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

You need to change the default device to HDMI. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1.    Click on “Start” button, click on “Control Panel" and double click on "Sound"

2.    On "Playback" tab right click on "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" with the TV icon

3.    Select "Set as Default Device"

4.    Right click on "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" with the TV icon again and click on "Test"

5.    You should hear sound from left and right speaker of your TV set

6.    Click on "OK"

Try playing the movie now. If it does not work you may have to change additional settings on the player, please let me know the player that you are using so that we can let you know the steps.

Thank you.

Sudeep S

Certified Dell Community Professional

10 Posts

June 6th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for your responses.

I went to the Laptop Audio FAQ and the response there is like lucids's response : restart the computer !

BTW, I hope the next Windows release will improve this management. It's quite a poor behavior, when it goes to sound output management.  For me, when "reboot" is a solution that mean you are facing a bug.

Suppose just one second, the process is not sound management, but airplane Flight Management System  :emotion-40: ???

113 Posts

June 6th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I am glad to hear that the issue is taken care off. However the feedback is much appreciated and we will forward the issue to the concerned department and get this corrected.

Thank you.

107 Posts

June 6th, 2012 15:00

Pretty sure that its not a windows issue I think its either related to the specific hardware or its associated driver.

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi

Have same problem and tried to do the above but got to 'playback' and only the speaker icon showed - no sign tv icon or digiatl output device.  Where do I go from here?

No Events found!