Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2010 08:00

Not able to boot from external Dvd-writer (usb)

Hello all, i tried on different laptop models to boot from an external device and it works only if the unit is a pendrive or hard disk.

But if i use a dvd-writer, it's not recognized by the bios amont the bootabole devices.

i tried with an E4310 and an E5410, updated with latest firmware

Thanks!

M.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 20th, 2010 10:00

Some drives won't work as boot devices -- this may be one of them.

23 Posts

September 21st, 2010 01:00

But the old models like d430 and d630 worked perfectly with this device, why newer doesn't ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 21st, 2010 05:00

I've seen that happen as well -- sometimes the newer systems don't work with older USB bridge chips in the external devices.  See if a small local computer store will let you try a different drive.

23 Posts

September 21st, 2010 07:00

I already tried 2 different brands/models, one is a philips and one is an LG - both cases the same problem :emotion-6:

1 Message

March 24th, 2011 16:00

Hi,

Although a little bit late this may be useful to other users with the same problem. Some Dell laptops, mostly new ones, have an option in the BIOS (key F2) with a title similar to "Module Bay Device". This option is by default set to "Enabled". External optical drives (CD/DVD) may not be able to boot as long as this option remains in enable mode. Change it to "Off". Then you will be able to boot from your external optical drive. You won't be able to see the external drive in the list of available bootable devices (F12). So, make sure that the Boot sequence has the hard disk drive at a lower priority than the rest. It should work fine.

Bye.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2011 13:00

What about laptops that not support this option ! In my case, i have a Dell Studio 15 but i cannot change the Module Bay Device in BIOS, its fixed to internal CD/DVD Drive which is not working for me.

Any help plz !

1 Message

April 11th, 2015 16:00

my dell laptop came with an external dvd drive so I could download the programs that came with the computer on a separate cd.  when my trend micro anti virus stopped working by not being able to update, instructions were to remove and reinstall.  that was when I realized that my laptop would not allow me access with my external drive therefore could not reinstall antivirus.  plan was to restore to factory settings and start over again.  that's when my laptop froze in the process and that was that.  when I turned my laptop off and on again, I kept getting the "diagnosing your pc" and preparing auto repair" over and over again.  contacted dell support, they will send me a usb key after several attempts to restart thru tech support.  hope when its fixed, I can use my external drive again.

No Events found!