Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2012 07:00

POWER ADAPTOR 6400 E1505

I have an issue with my power adaptor.  When switched on I an error message stating thee is an issue with power adaptor and it may not work properly.  It prompts to press F1 or F3 to continue

Once I press F1 I am able work with the laptop.

I observed

1.  Battery is not charging

2.  I am able to use my laptop by plugging the adaptor even after removing the battery.

Please advise.  Thanks.

105 Posts

May 29th, 2012 10:00

Hi psvs99,

Welcome to the community

It could be an issue with the ac adapter or the port where the adapter plugs into the system. You can try an alternate ac adapter to see if that one works.  

In case the alternate adapter does not work, most probably it is an issue with the motherboard.

Glad to be of assistance.

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2012 03:00

Hi psvs99,

As Ravi M suggested it could be an issue with the AC adapter or the motherboard.

Check if the system detects the AC adapter normally in BIOS by tapping F2 at start up (at Dell logo). Under System on the left hand side,highlight Battery Info.Check on the right hand side  and post back what you see there.If it says AC adapter unknown,try to wiggle the AC adapter connector  to see if doing so changes the status of AC adapter.

Note:Have the battery connected to the system when you enter BIOS.

For further help post back your findings in BIOS.

Thank You

18 Posts

May 30th, 2012 12:00

Thanks.  I tried other adaptor,  there is no error message,  It seems there is an issue with the power adaptor.  But I am surprised that I can use my laptop with this adaptor,  But I am not able to charge the Laptop batter.  

105 Posts

May 30th, 2012 13:00

You are welcome,

Inspiron 6400 / E1505 base AC adapter is a 65 W adapter, customer can choose to upgrade to a 90 W AC adapter at the time of purchase; I hope yours was shipped with the 65 watt.

Now, coming back to the same issue you need to check in the BIOS as informed by DELL-Roshan L in the above post.

If there in the BIOS the battery health says performing normally means battery is fine. If the AC adapter is unknown means the issue is with the motherboard/AC adapter both.

You must look for a good known AC adapter before deciding on getting the motherboard replaced.

Let us know your findings.

Glad to be of assistance.

Ravi Mohindroo

934 Posts

May 30th, 2012 16:00

"psvs99"

***But I am surprised that I can use my laptop with this adaptor,  But I am not able to charge the Laptop battery***

18 Posts

May 30th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Thanks mates.

It seems like an adaptor issue. I have tried with other adaptor ( dell),   it works fine as now.  I see no error messages.  Battery is getting charged.

What could be the issue with adaptor  - delivers enough power to run laptop but not  enough power to  charge batteries.

your views please.

934 Posts

May 31st, 2012 04:00

In your case it looks like either the control wire or the "Dallas"-chip of the power adapter (integrated memory circuit that contains the information about the adapter) is broken - as shown in the video.

When the laptop is turned on the BIOS tries to "communicate" with the power adapter via control wire to get information about its capabilities - available power,ID etc.

If something's wrong with the wire or the chip - no data transfer and the BIOS refuses to enable the charging unit and  also reduces the CPU speed.

A loose power jack can also cause charging problems(control wire loses connection)- that's why Dell-Roshan suggested "to wiggle the AC adapter connector".

105 Posts

June 1st, 2012 17:00

Hi psvs99,

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to hear that the known good ac-adapter worked fine, which means the ac adapter of your laptop has gone bad. You can consider purchasing the ac adapter. Let me know if the system is under warranty. If it is not, you can purchase the battery from the following link:

http://bit.ly/L5oQHy

Or contact dell sales to purchase one by calling 1-800-372-3355 to buy the parts.

Ravi Mohindroo

105 Posts

June 1st, 2012 18:00

sorry for typographical error...i meant an adapter and not a battery

54 Posts

July 19th, 2012 21:00

If the laptop is still under warranty, you may be able to get the issue resolved for free. If not, yes, I have heard of this being a common issue. One of my Dell's had the same problem, but for some reason or another, the battery started charging again. It could also be a bad AC adapter or battery as well. How old is the battery? If you know someone with a Dell that uses the same AC adapter, give that a try and see if the battery will charge.

If the problem still exist,maybe you need a new power adapter and hope this link can help you.Good luck!

www.eachbattery.com/dell-inspiron-e1505-ac-adapter-charger-p-470

No Events found!