Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2015 09:00

Please advise on suitable SSD for dell inspiron 1501?

Hi there,

Thanks for looking at this post, I hope someone out there can advise me!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 bought in 2007. Its doing well for its age but is rather slow despite regular defrags, hoovering, etc. To speed it up when browsing the web and using Office my partner has recommended that I upgrade the hard drive to a SSD. This will buy me some time whilst I am saving up for a new mid-range laptop.

My specs are below, along with the details of two possible SSD on Amazon that may work.

Please can someone can give advice on if these are the correct choices and if if anyone has had experience of this? Thank you! :emotion-49:

My hard drive:

160GB, SATA 1 (5400rpm),

My processor:

AMD Turion (tm) 64x2 Mobile technology TL-60

with 2 GB RAM,

running Windows 7, 32 bit

2 possible SSDs that may work:

1) Intel:

Intel ® SSDSC2CT180A4K5 SSD 335

180 GB Internal 2.5" SATA MLC 9.5mm 14.6 x 4.6 x 11.4 cm

2) Samsung

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

10 x 0.7 x 7 cm

Please let me know if there is anything else I should consider???

Kindest Regards

starlight_sprinkles

5 Posts

January 8th, 2015 10:00

I just installed one last night and it was flawless.  It's a 7mm height (which I believe almost all SSDs are -- at least the ones I've had all are and they come with a 9mm adapter which you won't need here).

I had a Samsung 840 EVO and loved that (especially with the diagnostics software), but now I have a Kingston SSD 240GB which I got for $99.  It works just fine but the Samsung had more configuration options.  As they've said, you won't get the full performance, but what you will get, should work just fine with your machine as it does with mine.

Standard SATA connections, basically.  7mm height.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 23:00

Hi starlight_sprinkles,

Dell Inspiron 1501 system board works on SATA I technology the latest SSD work on SATA III technology the transfer speed would come down to SATA 1 technology speed.

January 8th, 2015 10:00

Thank you for your reply Dell-Ravi BC.

Yes, I understand that installing a SATA 3 SSD into a SATA 1 port  would not give me SATA 3 speeds. I was planning on buying a SATA 1 or SATA 2 SSD. I am hoping that even a SATA 1 SSD would at least make my laptop speed more bearable in the short term.

Do I need to consider any other specs such as the dimensions or types of connections???

Many thanks

starlight_sprinkles

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 12th, 2015 07:00

Hi starlight_sprinkles,

Sorry for the delayed response. SATA 1 or SATA 2 SSD is better than the normal mechanical HDD. Rest all specification would be same on SATA hard drives.

January 31st, 2015 08:00

Thank you for your helpful reply alissa914. Apologies its so late, but you will be glad to know that since payday has finally arrived, I have bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive from amazon for £90, through your recommendation. So fingers cross everything will talk to eachother just fine and that it will not take at an hour to boot up my machine and get on the web! I hope your machine is still running ok.

Kindest regards

starlight_sprinkles

January 31st, 2015 08:00

Thank you Ravi BC, I have just bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive from amzon so lets hope everything works well.

Kindest Regards

starlight_sprinkles

No Events found!