Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2017 22:00

Plugged in but not charging

Hello,

I have Dell inspiron 13 7359 laptop. I bought this in November 2015. I have a strange problem with this laptop currently.  When i plug it in, it shows "Plugged in not charging" and the laptop speed dramatically slows down. When i unplug it, it behaves normally. 

It also displays "AC Adapter not recognized" while booting up. I tried everything i can.

1) I bought a new AC adapter - when i plugged it in for the first time it got charged, i thought the problem is fixed. Then the issue started occurring since the second charge onwards.

2) I updated the BIOS - Did not fix the problem

3) I Reinstalled the windows - Did not fix the problem

4) I replaced the battery - Did not fix the problem

5) I replaced the DC connector (the DC socket to the laptop) - Did not fix the problem

6) I even replaced the mother board - Did not fix the problem.

7) I tried charging it at different power outlets - Did not fix the problem

8) I bought a new AC adapter (this time 65W) - Worked for the first charge, but it behaves the same way from the second charge onwards. 

I am really fed up with this and don't know what to do. Please help me. I stay in a small country in Illinois and have no authorized dell service centre to which i can take my laptop to. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sai

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 8th, 2017 03:00

Hi saikiran90,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not working as you expected.  Unless you still have warranty in effect, it might be easier to take it to a local computer repair shop for repairs than trying to find a Dell repair facility in your country.  

If you haven't tried them already, here is some information you may find helpful: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

53 Posts

November 8th, 2017 09:00

1.Unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet for 15 seconds.

2.Unplug the AC adapter from the PC.

3.Plug the AC adapter to a known-good wall outlet.

4.Plug the AC adapter to the PC.

5.Check the LED indicator on the AC adapter

I tried to fix the error plugged in but not charging by going through the Dell Diagnostics at boot up but it didn't work for me, my battery is good and the adapter is also good. Follow the instructions above and good luck, it worked for me.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 8th, 2017 10:00

Two questions:

Do you see the AC adapter listed with its power rating on the setup page (F2 at powerup) or does it show unknown?

If it shows unknown, is this an OEM Dell AC adapter -- or a third-party unit?

6 Posts

November 9th, 2017 14:00

Hi saikiran90,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not working as you expected.  Unless you still have warranty in effect, it might be easier to take it to a local computer repair shop for repairs than trying to find a Dell repair facility in your country.  

If you haven't tried them already, here is some information you may find helpful: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I did everything at the link you provided and still does not work.

6 Posts

November 9th, 2017 14:00

I too am having the same problem.  I have searched for an answer and none have worked.  My laptop is a 7348 2 in 1, Service tag 4PTQ582.

1.  My adapter worked in a similar Dell laptop, thier adapter did not work in mine.

2.   I have the most uptodate bios and drivers installed.

3.  Laptop works without the battery and the battery holds a good charge.

4.   I replaced the DC connector on the laptop.

5.   Tried different outlets and different houses.

6.     Removed the battery and cleaned the contacts on the battery and MB.

7.    Tried draining the residual power by removing the battery and holding in on the power button.

8.    Returned the bios to default settings.  The charger type is unknown.

9.    Ran the online diagnostic tests and they all passed.

I am convinced the only way to get it to work is for Dell to supply a bios that does NOT require a Dell charger to work.  Just why is it necessary to use a Dell charger?  This was never required in the past on my other laptops.  This is still a great laptop that I have to use like it was a desktop. Dell needs to come up with an answer as many are having the same problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 9th, 2017 18:00

If you've tried multiple adapters and replaced the DC jack to no effect, the mainboard is the faulty part and will need to be replaced.

6 Posts

November 10th, 2017 03:00

You might be right, but the opening post replaced thier mother board and it still didn.t work.  I would like an expensive fix to be a little more sure to work.

No Events found!