Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2015 02:00

Power options for HDD ignored

My system: Precision M6800 with 256 GB SSD and additional 1TB Western Digital HDD

It seems that Windows ignores the power plan settings which I have set.

Although I have set the "Hard disk turn off after 'n' minutes" to "Never" when in plugged-in mode, the hard drive regardless goes to sleep after one minute. This is very annoying especially while writing some text because every now and then I have to wait some seconds because the hard drive has to spin up before it is ready again.

What do I need to install or configure to get rid of this behavior?

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2015 03:00

Hi Asu744,

I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system to reset the settings.

Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, Please check on other sleep options which may be enabled.

9 Posts

June 1st, 2015 11:00

Hi Ravi,

thank you for your feedback. I'm a bit confused now, since you suggest to re-install the video card driver, but the problem that I have described is with the hard disk and not with the video card. Can you shed some light on me? BTW, there are two video card drivers for that system, one is from Intel and the other is from Nvidia. Both are the latest available.

Thanks.

Regards,
Urs

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 9th, 2015 16:00

Hi Asu744,

The power options settings on the computer are managed by the video card. Reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download Video card drivers listed from Video section onto the system and install it.

Please let me know if this helps.

9 Posts

June 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

thank you for getting back to this case. I did what you suggested, but unfortunately it did not fix the problem. Same behavior as before, after some seconds of inactivity the hard drive spins down and then I have to wait one or two seconds until it spins up again.

In the meantime I also get in touch with the WD support to verify that the hard drive itself is OK. They could not find any issue with it but they suggested to ask DELL whether the hard drive is compatible with the M6800 laptop. It's a WD Blue 1 TB, Model WD10SPCX.

Thank you for your help.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi Asu744,

The system is compatible with the hard drive shipped. I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.

2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

3. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.

4. Now select properties.

5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then NVidia /AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link above, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

9 Posts

June 29th, 2015 03:00

Hi Dell-Ravi BC,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately nothing seems to help, I followed your instructions step by step. It's a pity, neither updating the drivers nor updating the BIOS helped. Very dissatisfying ...

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 30th, 2015 18:00

Hi Asu744,

As we finished with most of the troubleshooting steps the next ideal step would be is to perform factory restore on the system or perform manual reinstallation of OS.

No Events found!