Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2015 13:00

Precision M3800 does not wake after sleep

- After closing the LID, system will get to sleep mode and cannot wake

Steps taken: Updated BIOS, Updated Video Card driver, reinstalled ACPI Driver, ePSA Diagnostic test passed.

Power Management > Advanced > Power Button and Lid > Lid close action > Set to sleep

Power Management > Advanced > Sleep > Wake Timers > both battery and AC Adapter are disabled

February 17th, 2015 15:00

I am using an add-on graphics card: Nvidia Quadro K1100M on top of the onboard Intel HD Graphics.

14 Posts

February 17th, 2015 15:00

By design, the M3800 only wakes up by pressing the power button.

If this is not happening, can you check if you are using the onboard graphics card or an add-on and also the OS?

14 Posts

February 17th, 2015 16:00

does it wake up by pressing the power button?

8 Posts

February 18th, 2015 07:00

Lee - I am having the same issues and updated everything like you did.  When my M3800 goes to sleep, it does not wake up.  I have tested with nothing plugged in (no power brick, usb or anything), everything plugged in (dock, power brick), using the power button to sleep it, using the start menu to sleep it, and it never wakes from sleep.  I have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds or so, let it force power off, then press the power button for 1 second and it lights up and powers on as a new start.

This didn't use to be this way, but I can't pinpoint any certain update that caused this.  I used to be able to close the lid, walk to another office and open the lid and begin where I left off.  Can't do that anymore.

Help please.

Karl

14 Posts

February 18th, 2015 09:00

Been working on this issue for quite a while but getting no response from case owners.

Suggested troubleshooting is to rollback video drivers. If not available, download recent, not the latest, from manufaturer's website.

For example, if your M3800 has no add-on graphics card. go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=&ProductID=3720&ProdId=3720

and download the drivers tagged

Release Date: 10/3/2014

Version 15.36.7.3960

Please update what happens next

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 09:00

Recently I started having the same issue - not being able to wake from sleep without holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds.  Is there any fix if I do have additional Quadro K1100M graphics card?

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 04:00

I'm having the same problem but also trying to resolve an issue with HDMI output resolution being limited to 1920x1080. I've just found this thread and wondered if they're related. There's a new driver available - see final post in thread.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/55105

1 Message

February 23rd, 2015 09:00

Exact same issue...Issue started after upgrading the Intel HD Video Driver 10.18.10 3993 yesterday.  Downgraded the driver and the problems still exist.  No issues previously.

8 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 12:00

I contacted Dell and they are replacing the motherboard this week some time, hopefully.  I'll post if that fixed the problem after they are done.  Thanks - Karl

14 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 12:00

The suggested fix is still to roll back drivers to those released from late last year.

There seems to be some reported conflict with the new updates & the processor.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2015 06:00

I have the same issue as Lee - any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 Posts

February 26th, 2015 06:00

UPDATE:

We tested the laptop after the new motherboard was inserted and it worked.  This morning it is not working and has returned to the same issue, not waking from sleep. I am contacting Dell. 

Thanks - Karl

All,

Dell replaced the motherboard yesterday and it appears to have fixed the problem, I think.  I am doing more testing but when i close the screen with apps open and then i open the screen back up, they all come back. But I think i closed it last night with apps opens and then opened it this morning and all the apps were closed but it did wake up like normal, so I'll do more testing today and see if I have  setting that is 'closing' the apps.

But, the sleep issue appears to be gone with a motherboard swap.  Oh, also the USB 3 port moved to where the USB 2 port was on the right (as your using the laptop).

Karl

14 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 17:00

Do any of those reported systems have Computrace Software installed in them?

if yes, you might want to try to disable it.

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 06:00

I do not believe I have Computrace.  Is it just a program I can search for?  I do have the Dell Protected Workspace though.

Karl

March 5th, 2015 13:00

@ krileymac, can you give us some updates if Motherboard replacement resolves the issue?

To all, I hingly appreciate your responses. Hope we can get a resolution from Dell ASAP!

No Events found!