This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 29th, 2014 09:00

Radeon 8870m

Strange story with my Dell 3737 and AMD Radeon 8870m

after new driver installation, sleep or hibernate no more works (black screen or restart)

Any suggestions?

3 Posts

June 9th, 2014 16:00

That custom driver from guru3d really helped. But I have another issue. When playing games I hear loud buzzing sound from the computer. That sound disappears only when I unplug AC adapter. But playing games on battery is not an option.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2014 15:00

Just had issues with this custom driver. Empty blue screen on windows load.

Removed it using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and windows boots up again.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2014 17:00

I have found that this is a really common problem with windows 8.1 and the suggestion is to downgrade to windows 8. Can anyone confirm that windows 8 works with latest radeon drivers without sleep issues?

17 Posts

June 11th, 2014 18:00

I did as you guys suggested. I downgraded my intel drivers and instaled the guru3d amd latest beta drivers for the 8000 series.

I had some minor fps increase BUT... 3 games that I tried already are glitching...

Marvel Heroes has major bugs, full of lines across the screen, blank spaces where graphics should be, and also the notebook is heating a LOT now when I play a game (previously it wouldnt heat at all) and also make a huge noise...

I'm considering removing this AMD Catalyst Guru3d Driver... Or maybe it's the downgrade on the Intel driver that made my pc like this?

If anyone is experiencing similar problems as mine, please, le me know.

Thx

4 Posts

June 15th, 2014 07:00

Solution for this: use windows 7. I installed the AMD drivers from their homepage and intel from windows update and everything works. Games, sleep mode, everything. At windows 8(.1) the best option was to choose: game or sleep mode. The two not work at the same time...

17 Posts

June 15th, 2014 15:00

Hi Garoboros,

I think I will do that. Where can I find the proper drivers for Intel HD 4400 driver for Windows 7? Could you link us up?

And as for the AMD HD Radeon 8870m Driver, did you get one for windows 7 from the Dell site, or did you get the most recent one directly from the AMD site?

Please, enlighten us :) !

Kudos!

4 Posts

June 16th, 2014 01:00

Hello!

I got the AMD drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages

It's pretty good for gaming but I don't know why it's recognise the card as a R9 M270X (as someone already mentioned it). It's the newest one for our device. For the intel I downloaded it from the homepage of Dell: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-17-3737/drivers 

I know it's not the latest but in my opinion it's doesn't matter. The important thing is to keep the AMD up to date. For Windows 7 the WiFi and LAN drivers will not work however. But I also got a solution for that. ;)

You can find working wifi and bluetooth driver here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=GKYK9 Look for the DW1901_Atheros_W74_A01_X04_Setup-GKYK9_ZPE. It's works for me and once you got wifi you can get lan drivers via windows update. All the other drivers work for me, everything installed for me now and no problem with gaming and sleep mode. Good luck! ;)

17 Posts

June 17th, 2014 10:00

Gaboros,

Thank you so much for spending your time on giving me all this info! 
Amazingly enough, yesterday all my games began to run PERFECTLY( and I mean *perfectly*) on my Dell Inspiron 5737 /w AMD HD Radeon 8870M, OS: Windows 8.1.
Some days ago, I replied here that my games were glitching, but, after a Windows Update ( I think this was the solution because I did not change anything in the PC besides installing a downgraded Intel Driver and a Modded Guru3d Catalyst Driver for AMD posted on this topic) the games are running perfectly... And the notebook goes to hibernate/sleep/ etc also..

I'm glad this nightmare is finally over. If the problem of graphic glitching persists, I will consider downgrading to Windows 7 like Garoboros suggested. In any case, for any people with the same problems we're having that are reading this, it seems that there are 2 solutions for this case:

Downgrade your OS to Windows 7
OR
Risk installing the modded drivers for AMD

Either case, it will work guys : ) . If there's anything I can do to help anyone here, please send me a message here...  I will try to help though I'm not sure why my notebook is 100% all out of a sudden =S...

Also I must say, while the graphics are astonishing for very demanding games, the heating on this notebook  skyrocketed to 92 degrees Celsius. It is not dangerous, but it is not good also.
For those who are into games, I would suggest you guys buy a Cooling Pad, a good one at least, so you guys don't waste the notebook in less than a year.

Here's the one I'm thinking of buying : )  :

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Zalman-ZM-NC2000B-Notebook-Kuhler-ZM-NC2000-/291168082865?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item43caf85bb1&_uhb=1

Be warned that the Zalman NC2000 is designed for 17 inches laptop. If your laptop is less than that then you should go with the Zalman NC1000:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Zalman-ZM-NC1000S-silber-Notebook-Kuhler-/400725883763?pt=DE_Computing_Notebook_K%C3%BChlpads&hash=item5d4d1fbb73&_uhb=1

I've extensively searched for what's the current best cooling pads and both of these Zalman products came out as the best pick from many forums discussions.

I hope I'm helping.

Hoping everyone can sort these video problems out,

Bruno Olivi

8 Posts

June 17th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the update, Bruno.

I am considering moving to the AMD modded driver too; now, from time to time, my mouse freezes sporarically for fractions of seconds multiple times in a row, and I wonder if the @%&$ outdated AMD card drivers from Dell are responsible for that.

Anyway, you say it is possible to let Windows update the modded driver? With the latest (yet outdated) Dell drivers, doing so leads to a black screen instead of the login screen (all I can see is the mouse pointer)... So I must go back to Safe Mode to uninstall the new drivers, reboot, then reinstall the Dell supported drivers.

No such problem with the mod?

17 Posts

June 18th, 2014 06:00

Hello Mufia,

Since I didn't had any of these problems with the mouse you mentioned, it's hard for me to endorse that these modded AMD drivers will solve the case of our "freezing mouse". Although, IMHO, why not give it a try? You have nothing to lose anyways... if your PC messes up, please be sure you did a recent back up on your PC data and that you have means of recovering your OS to default settings. That way you won't create more problems than you already have : ) ...

Mufia, I don't think my Windows Update  updated the modded driver because I've manually disabled my WIndows of automatically updating the video drivers, be it from Intel or AMD ( you *NEED* to do that to install the modded drivers anyways). Maybe it updated something from the BIOS or the OS itself that now makes it compatible with the modded drivers? I guess I will never know...

Mufia, no problem so far friend... Although, trust me, I must have installed more than 5 or 6 drivers combinations until I finally got luck with this one. I know, it's a headache to get these drivers right and it shouldn't be US, the clients, that would have to deal with this kind of stuff...

What I can tell you is, follow strictly the guidelines of uninstalling/installing the drivers... Especially the order of things. As I recall:

-Disable driver signature thingy (if you don't do that, Windows will never authorize the installation of unnoficial drivers like the ones from Guru3D). I don't recall anymore how to do it, but it isn't too hard. Search google for " disable driver signature enforcement Windows 8/Windows 8.1" :

-Disable Windows 8.1 autoupdate for drivers (I don't recall how to do this also, sorry =S, but in Google there are quite a few tutorials for this...) ;

-Download "Display Driver Uninstaller" ;

- Download Intel driver version indicated in Shyrka's post in this same topic (Posted by Shyrka on 3 Jun 2014 )

-Download AMD modded driver version indicated in Shyrka's post in this same topic (Posted by Shyrka on 3 Jun 2014 )

- Reboot in safe mode (If you don't know how to do that in Windows 8.1, google can also help with that, it helped me... because I'm a newbie with Windows 8/8.1)

- Uninstall both Intel/AMD drivers with the Display Driver Uninstaller. It will ask you to reboot in normal mode. Do so.

-Install Intel Driver that you downloaded. Reboot.

- Install AMD Modded Driver that you downloaded. Reboot.

- If Christ is smiling upon you, everything will be 100% after all this huge process.

Yours,

Bruno O.

17 Posts

June 19th, 2014 15:00

I also have the buzzing sound with the same Guru3d driver you installed : ) 

Is it one heard only when in games and if it were to be pin-pointed, would you say it comes from the middle of the keyboard? If so then, yes, I have the same exact "problem". But I think you shouldn't worry about it,  it's just a minor noise... I read a review of the 5737 17R where one of the cons was the "buzzing noise"... maybe they were referring to this?

Also, I didn't have any blue screens so far and I've extensively used my graphics cards these last days with this new modded GPU. 

Maybe it was related to something else?

See you,

Bruno.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2014 05:00

As fas as I know, this is a problem of the mother board, especially the power suply part of it. You can't do nothing about it, unless you send it with warranty to switch the motherboard for a newer one which don't has this bug. (if you plug out from AC the noise will stop) 

17 Posts

June 20th, 2014 10:00

Thanks garoboros and sjc1017,

I hope it is. I bought this notebook in Italy and I'm only staying here until the end of July. I'm going to risk not using the warranty to return this notebook, because as you guys have told and from what I've searched, it's nothing to worry about... just coil whine or an expected buzz.
Either way... this sound must be lower than 5 dB so it doesn't matter... when I game it increases a bit but w/e...

The only time I got worried was when I was gaming and decided to lift the notebook up to see  if there was air flow coming down from the bottom. Wrong idea. The notebook started making a VERY high pitched noise, I urgently rebooted the system and the problem ceased...

Very weird, for from what I read around forums, high pitched noises are always indicative of a problem ... I hope I'm being "hypochondriac" with this stuff  :emotion-42:...

(Almost 10th page of 8870M and related problems, with no solutions or official answers! Hurray!)

63 Posts

June 20th, 2014 10:00

If it's coil whine I assume it's there for the lifetime of the part since it emerges from the production process.  If the problem is worse when you game use headphones or maybe external speakers (amplified).  Just find a way to get use value out of the machine or see if you can get dell to fit a replacement.  I had a 5650 replaced in a dell a year into warranty.  Problem is the card and machine is functioning, it's just an annoyance, so not sure what their stance will be.

No Events found!