Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2015 12:00

Re-installing xp in inspiron E1705

I have an old Inspiron E1705 that came with xp. After it crashed completely and none of my efforts to repair the software were successful I reluctantly came to the conclusion that I had to re-install the system.

All looked well. I re-installed Media direct, xp and the chipset driver to connect to internet. However, when I tried  to download the service pack 3 from windows, it didn't work. I even downloaded the service pack 3 with another laptop and copied the file to the inspiron. When I tried to run the .exe I've got a message saying that is not a file recognized by the system.

How can I install the XP SP 3 in the inspiron? Why when I when to the dell website to download the drivers the page was all messed up???

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2015 12:00

XP has been end of life for over a year now - it is no longer supported by Microsoft, Dell, etc. 

It's time to move to WIndows 7.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2015 13:00

I'm aware of that, but, I figure that the price for an upgrade from xp to windows 7 will be way lower than buying the software making a brand new installation. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2015 14:00

The very first thing to do would be an extended hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.  There's a good chance the problem may be hardware in origin.

You can still get SP3 by manual download:

< >

That said, be sure you use the system offline only - NOT on the Internet, where it's basically a sitting duck for malware.

No Events found!