Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 17th, 2009 16:00

Replacing the CR2032 coin cell battery in my 9400

I haven't had much luck finding instructions online about how to replace my coin-cell battery. I'd have thought to just buy a replacement CR2032, but the battery has a plastic wrapping around it with two wires going into it, which connect to the motherboard directly. I haven't sliced open the plastic wrapping to see just how it works. Should I just buy any CR2032 and then it'll be obvious how to move the wires?

Also I may be blaiming this on the CR2032 incorrectly. I've noticed a few times when the system clock came up off by a bit. This seems like a CMOS battery issue. But my main laptop battery has also decided to die at the same time, which makes me wonder if it's the cause. I'm getting the 1-3-5 pattern on the battery, and the laptop's charging light gives me 4-quick-amber-blinks followed by a long-green-blink.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2009 16:00

The flashing pattern in the battery/charge light indicate one or more failed cells in the battery - it has nothing to do with the CMOS/reserve battery.  It's the main battery you'll soon need to replace.

4 Posts

April 17th, 2009 17:00

I understand that I need to replace the main battery, but I don't think that that explains the system clock being wrong. Running slow, to be specific. In the past for me, that's  been a coin-cell-battery problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2009 18:00

If the clock loses time and the main battery is dead, then it might be the CMOS battery.  If the main battery is charged and installed, the CMOS battery isn't even used, so that's not the cause of the problem.

5 Posts

July 26th, 2010 06:00

I have a similar problem in that when I wake my Inspiron 9400 from hibernate the clock is the same as when I switched it off.  Even though it's stays plugged in.It's not consistant though.  It happens about once or twice a week. I was about to buy a new CR2032 battery until I read this response. 

My main battery is good, and besides, it stays plugged in to the mains all the time, so what else could cause this?

I read my realtime clock could have problems.  Is that a likely cause, even though it doesn't occur all the time?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Running XP SP3

5 Posts

July 27th, 2010 00:00

Ok I did a test last night.  I unplugged it from the mains when I hibernated the machine. This morning the time was wrong. It showed 11:30 PM yesterday, which is approx the time I switched off the machine.

Is this likely a coin cell battery issue?  Is main battery not used to keep time?

Thanks,

Phil

No Events found!