Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

October 24th, 2003 02:00

Resolution change when i close the lid...?

I have an I8500 - latest graphics card update - When i close the lid on my notebook, the resolution changes to something smaller, but then once i open it back up it goes back to the original Resolution. Only thing is that when i open it back up, i find that all the windows i had open are resized. Which is a pain in the toosh to resize all the windows and move the icons back to their original place. Does anyone know of a fix for this? 

~BiNz

8 Posts

October 24th, 2003 17:00

*bump*

15 Posts

October 24th, 2003 18:00

I have this exact same problem as well. Using ATI 9000 in Inspiron 8500 I have tried A00, A01, A02 and A04, I get this same problem of the resolution chaning when you close the lid on EVERY driver after A01. A01 works fine but everything after that A02, A04 (haven't tried 03 but assume the same since it's not fixed in 04).

It looks like it changes down to 800x600 or 640x480 when you close the lid which makes all your windows small. This has been a problem for many months, every time I install a new driver I end up going back to A01 because of this (A01 has problems of it's own but none of them are as serious as this one so I just stick with it).

Oh yes and I'm using DirectX 9.0a but I don't believe the regular 2D desktop uses DirectX does it? It's more for 2D animation and games, not the plain desktop.

Message Edited by Psiphere on 10-24-2003 03:33 PM

229 Posts

October 24th, 2003 18:00

Tell us the hardware in your computer.  Also what exact drivers you have tried /w version numbers and what drivers you are using now /w version numbers.  What version of Direct X?  Have you tried other drivers or just Dell brand drivers?

4 Posts

October 24th, 2003 19:00

I dont think its the driver at all. I think it has to do with your monitor settings. Many times you can set it to change imputs when you close your lid, like on a dock. If that is the case, then it will resize them to the second monitor resolution. Just go into display and make sure both display 1 and 2 resolutions are set to whatever your normal screen rez is.

15 Posts

Obviously it has something to do with the drivers since it happens with some of the drivers and not other ones.

229 Posts

You guys should try the drivers from www.omegacorner.com and s-seven's drivers at www.s-seven.net another good site that lists these as well as others for the Radeon 9000 including the modding tool is http://www.driverheaven.net/downloads/index2.htm

Since I got my Radeon 9000 i tried the Dell drivers for like 5 minutes and was like riiiiiggghhhhttttt!

Hope this helps!

8 Posts

October 25th, 2003 01:00

pxleyes: When i go to change the resolution of the second monitor and click apply, it changes back to 640x480. So that possible solution isnt working.

Bios: A05

Video Card: Mobility Radeon 9000

Video Driver: 6.14.10.6371

Windows XP Home. 

I've tried BIOS A03 and A04 didnt work. Tried 2 previous Video drivers and they didnt work.

8 Posts

October 25th, 2003 02:00

ok so i went to http://www.omegacorner.com/, downloaded the driver and installed it. Restarted. Once windows booted up i closed/re-opened the lid and its fixed! Thanks i8000_coastal! So i suggest downloading the driver from omegacorner.com.

15 Posts

October 25th, 2003 04:00

Ya, I installed the Omega drivers as well and I am no longer having the close lid problem. I'll still have to test and make sure everything else works correctly though (such as dual monitors).

Also, after I installed it, it was set to 16-bit color by default when it started up and I didn't notice. A bunch of my icons looked strange like they didn't have anti-aliasing and I tried playing some videos and they looked odd too as if there was no 2D anti-aliasing on anything. I don't know if that's normal or not for 16-bit whether you're using Dell drivers or not, I guess I don't usually run in 16-bit. But I changed it to 32-bit color and everything was fine again after that.

The omega drivers have some pretty nice customization options for you video settings compared the the A01 drives (can't say for the A04 since as soon as I noticed the lid problem I just uninstalled it since it hasn't been fixed still since A02, booo Dell + ATI)

Anyway, if you install the Omega drivers and things look a little strange, make sure you're in 32-bit. It's like the card runs better in 32 than 16, not just the amount of colors but what it does as well. It's weird, never experienced that before. But anyway, like I said, all seems good now.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

I was having the same problem, and I installed the Omega drivers and it fixed it for me also.

Thanks for the advice!

latitude D600

Radeon 9000

97 Posts

October 31st, 2003 19:00

I experienced the same 16-bit problem that was mentioned above.  32-bit worked fine, but 16-bit looked more like 8-bit with jaggy edges.

I experienced another problem with the omega drivers.  Initially, everything worked fine, when I closed and opened the lid, the resolution remained the same, etc.  I first encounted problems after docking my computer and then undocking it.  My external monitor only supports up to 1280x1024 (it's a 4 year old 17" Sony Trinitron, best monitor I have ever owned, despite the low max resolution).  After being docked and starting up my computer, it started in 1280x1024 resolution and I could NOT increase it.  I went into the display properties and it even showed that the LCD panel was capable of displaying up to 1920x1200 resolution, but it would not allow me to increase beyond 1280x1024.  I finally uninstalled the Omega drivers and re-installed the Dell drivers and after that, I was able to use 1920x resolution again.  I liked the additional features of the Omega drivers, but being unable to increase my resolution back to 1920x after docking was unacceptable.

Realistically, if the drop in resolution when closing and opening the panel is bothering anyone, there should be a setting in the registry to change that behaviour.  I have not dug around to try and locate it, but everything from your resolution, to your font size, to your theme, to your windows colors, etc, is stored in the registry.  There is probably a key hidden somewhere that controls how the resolution adjusts after closing the panel -- whether it is the windows settings or the ATI driver settings is a different question, but either way, it probably accessible in the registry.

Message Edited by nkrick on 10-31-2003 03:53 PM

No Events found!