Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2015 05:00

SSD not recognized inspiron-6400

My inspiron 6400 will bit recognize a new ssd drive.

Kingston 120 ssd

Board: Dell Inc. 0XD720

BIOS: Dell Inc. A17 06/13/2007

Please help

1.8K Posts

May 11th, 2015 13:00

Hello,

What is the model name for that Kingston drive?  I did a search for "kingston 120 ssd" and it didn't find a specific model by that name.  If we had the model name we could see if there were issues with that specific SSD.

When you say the system will not recognize the drive, are you talking it isn't seen in Windows or it isn't seen at all in the System Setup / BIOS?

I would also suggest that you try to reset your System Setup / BIOS while that drive is inserted into the system to see whether that will force the system to recognize the drive.  You can go to the Dell Support pages, insert your service tag, and the system will redirect you to the support pages specific to your system. On there you will find user and service manuals that will explain how to get into the System Setup as well as how to reset the BIOS to factory default (and hopefully cause it to recognize the drive if it isn't).

Please let us know what model of drive that is and whether it is seen in Windows and/or BIOS and we'll see if there are other suggestions we can make to try to help you.

Todd

May 12th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for replying,

Orginally the drive was not showing in bios then I after rechecking the connection and pushing in further it showed up.

When I fresh installed Windows 7 the drive was not available. I tried 3 different Windows 7 Usb but the same issue. At this point I'm was about to try a dvd Windows disk thinking it was some USB issue. I plugged the new ssd drive in to my other machine and installed Windows. I then put the drive back in the problem laptop, got a blue screen of death after boot up. I expected this. Started a new Windows install and the ssd drive was now showing available. All is now well.

1.8K Posts

May 12th, 2015 11:00

Thank you for replying,

Orginally the drive was not showing in bios then I after rechecking the connection and pushing in further it showed up.

When I fresh installed Windows 7 the drive was not available. I tried 3 different Windows 7 Usb but the same issue. At this point I'm was about to try a dvd Windows disk thinking it was some USB issue. I plugged the new ssd drive in to my other machine and installed Windows. I then put the drive back in the problem laptop, got a blue screen of death after boot up. I expected this. Started a new Windows install and the ssd drive was now showing available. All is now well.

Hi,

Glad to hear you figured it out.  Do you think it was simply not seated correctly the first time or is there another explanation you can point to?  I ask so that if someone else has the same symptoms I'd like to point to a specific suggestion for them.

Todd

No Events found!