Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 15th, 2016 19:00

Screen blinks and cursor loses focus after unlock

I reinstalled Windows 7 from my Latitude E6540's factory reset, and after everything updated, now when I unlock, the screen shows normally and I start typing or clicking and the screen will just blink (like it's loaded up some special driver and refreshed the video output), sometimes a few times, and the cursor loses focus and I have to click into whatever I was just using.

I think this is something with Dell's custom software or drivers (maybe I installed them in the wrong order?) as the only time I run into these odd issues (that aren't on other Windows computers) that's usually the case.

How do I find out what's doing this, or at least fix it? It's really obnoxious.

July 16th, 2016 21:00

Hi Dhinged

Thanks for writing to us. 

Have you reinstalled the windows from the windows disc or did you do a factory reset from f8 menu? 

How does it work in safemode? 

If not yet done, please update the BIOS and video drivers and let us know how it goes.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message. 

Regards

July 17th, 2016 19:00

Hi We are awaiting your response.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 26th, 2016 08:00

I reinstalled Windows by following Dell's instructions for a factory reset which led me to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Recovery > Advanced Recovery Methods, then used the Reinstall Windows option.

I think it pulled from Dell's recovery partitioned but I don't remember exactly.

Anyways, I've already updated everything I can in Windows (except for a few new Intel updates which are not telling me what they're going to update, I'll leave screenshots below), and run through Dell's "system detect" and diagnostics and it says everything's fine and up to date.

Now I've noticed that sometimes the screen blink will reload Chrome and all of its tabs (even when I had "open where I left off" disabled), including putting any Incognito session windows to the left of the non-Incognito windows.

I went into Device Manager and uninstalled the AMD Radeon 8790m drivers, rebooted, and didn't get the blinking problem. I then reinstalled them from AMD's site and the problem came back, so either AMD's drivers are bad or Dell's integration with them is.

How do I figure this out? It's become a nuisance.

No Events found!