Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

14 Posts

December 5th, 2005 04:00

Scroll Lock Light blinks randomely

My scroll lock status light goes on and off without my permission! it goes on for some seconds,(e.g. 10 sec) then goes off for some other seconds and it repeats all the time. The period lengths do not seem to follow any pattern. I even can not verify if it follows my scroll lock pressing button whey I try to turn it on or off. can anyone tell me what it means?

by the way I am using a Dell Latitude D500 notebook and my keyboard seem to work very well. I also may add that recently I have had some problems with my memory, so now I only use one of my memory modules (256MB). But the scroll Lock status light problem started before the problem with my RAM.

29 Posts

December 5th, 2005 13:00

if you have a docking station see if it does it on an external keyboard, if it does. its a Windows problem if it doesnt i would try booting into the bios (f2 at the dell bios screen) and sitting there for a while to see if it happens there outside of the OS. if it does happen there its a hardware problem problem a keyboard issue. if your system is still under warranty 18008228965 dell tech support will fix you up. if not the keyboard is pretty simple to replace and you can get one from the spare parts dept at dell, calling the same number will allow a technician to route you to the correct dept. they can also help you with part numbers/troubleshooting.

14 Posts

December 5th, 2005 20:00

I do not use any docking device or external keyboard. my current keyboard seem to function correctly except for the Scroll Lock status light.
Unfortunately the problem is not exactly timed, so that I can test it whenever I want, but I'll try to check it in BIOS setup ASAP. I can say the problem occured in Dell Diagnostic environment as for now...
by the way my warranty time is finished. I don't know if there is any way to use dell support for me.
No Events found!