Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2009 08:00

Service Tag change?

Hello, I had my motherboard replaced two days ago.  The service tag listed in the BIOS no longer matchs the stickers on the front and rear of the case.  Was the tech that installed the motherboard supposed to change the service tag on the new board to match my old tag or do I need to just jot down the new service tag and use that from now on?  If it was up to me, I would prefer the Number to NOT change in order to keep future confusion to a minimum.

Thanks, Brett

482 Posts

March 1st, 2009 19:00

Hello bloe414,

Sorry that this answer has taken so long, but if you have not contacted Tech Support, you will need to do so.  The service tech should have entered your service tag number and your express number both on your replacement board.  These numbers identify your system as a "valid" Dell and are associated with your warranty and its expiration date.  A nonvalid Service Tag will register if you have Tech Support go into your system online and you will then have to have that fixed before Tech Support can go forward with the issue you actually called about.

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Dell customer to alter or change their Service Tag or Express Service Code.

Best,

Darrell WV

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 11:00

Hello Darrell thanks for the reply,

How do I boot into the EFI Shell so I can change the service tag using the commands in the e-mail below?  I downloaded the Asset Tag utility files and they are saved on my C drive.  The instructions tell me to boot to the EFI shell to enter the appropriate commands.

Dell service sent me the following e-mail:

It seems that the service tag was not updated. We have 2 options here. The first one is to run the Asset tag utility so you can enter the old service tag and the other is to replace the motherboard.

To download and run the Asset tag utility, please visit the website http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R80775&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=105800 and click the DOWNLOAD NOW button and save it. Follow the steps on the installation instructions on how to install it.

Asset Tag Utility
The Asset Tag Utility allows asset tag and service tag numbers to be entered into the system's NVRAM where they can be viewed by the System Setup screens. The utility is installed with the Software Support Utilities shipped with the system.
Viewing the current asset tag number
To view the current asset tag, type this command line:

asset
Changing the asset tag number
To change the asset tag number, type this command line:

asset
The new asset tag number may contain up to 10 characters; any combination of characters excluding spaces is valid.
Changing the service tag number
To change the service tag number, type this command line:

asset /s

NOTE: Do not change the service tag number unless the system board has been replaced, in which case, change it to match the number on the back of the chassis. 

If you need immediate assistance, you may also chat with our online technicians or call us. By chat, please go to http://Dell.com/ChatSupport. To call Dell, dial 1-877-671-3355, select option 3 when prompted.

1 Message

March 19th, 2009 07:00

"The Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. Means that on the Motherboard replacement the Bios needs to be flashed"

To "boot" into EFI (THE DOWNLOAD YOU GOT FROM Dell) you must literally shutdown or restart your computer... Ideally your boot sequence is in "original" order... AND you have your specified files already on a floppy.... AND inserted into your "A" (floppy) drive.

If you are not using your "A" floppy drive you will have to change the sequence of your boot devices to put your device at the top...  (enter your BIOS before your system starts up... and be sure to SAVE your tempory settings BEFORE you exit)

In any case... you should note the proper order of your devices before you start... so you can unscramble them when you are RESTORING YOUR SETTINGS.

(changing your boot sequences can cause your various other devices to be reassigned).

Hope this helped.

The screen that your system boots into is nothing more than your basic DOS screen with a blinking cursor.

By typing in  DIR you should be able to get a response showing the giles from your download

No Events found!