Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 14:00

Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Dell will soon be releasing updated desktop docking stations that are compatible with Type C and Thunderbolt systems.   These docks may require that you update your system's BIOS and install docking station drivers before they will function properly.   Older BIOS versions or lack of docking station drivers could result in the dock not being recognized by your system or not working as expected.   Once released, these docking station drivers and updated BIOS versions will be available on support.dell.com for supported laptop systems.

27 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 06:00

This is an old driver. Unfortunately Dell does a poor job with their dates on their hotfixes. When it has a date for "Updated" it means the the article was updated. I used to get excited when I saw something get updated and then i would run out and try to install it and it would tell me I already have that version installed. 

I saw this post and got excited too, hoping it would fix my TB issues. when I tried to install it it asked me to remove it because it saw the same version already installed. I did remove it and re-installed it but i have the same issues. Dell really needs to get a fix for this soon. I have been unable to use a external monitor ever since the last TB firmware and bios was released. 

February 22nd, 2016 15:00

I'm getting to the end of the 30-day return period, too. 

I've been working with a CSR who first sent me a replacement Wireless Dock (CTKM5), and then a TB15 with no cable attached. Does anyone know if there's a way to swap the cable without voiding the warranty?

I don't think this product launch could have been flubbed any worse.

380 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 15:00

If Dell does not get the drivers for the TB15 fixed shortly, I will be forced to send mine back. Plugable is coming out with a comparable dock supposedly by next month. I might opt for that.

JohnD

15 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 17:00

Good luck.. do let us know as I'll be ordering the TB15 and WD15 tomorrow.

Is there a way to differentiate the first batch from the second batch? Like maybe a revision stamp on the bottom of the dock?

Are the internals any different or is it just shipped with a newer firmware?

February 22nd, 2016 17:00

Received my 2nd TB15 today - this time I ordered the 180W version as my power requirements are not that high. I have an XPS 9550, 512GB PCIe system drive, 2TB Samsung Evo SSD internal drive and 32GB RAM.

I have the software/firmware updated through Feb 19 (I didn't use the Thunderbolt Controller Driver dated Feb 22.).

Attached to the Dock are  1. Dell UP3216Q 32" 4K monitor through DP; 2. WD MyPassport 3TB 3.0 USB external hard drive; 3. Sandisk Extreme 900 2TB SSD (external) USB-C 3.1; 4. Ethernet

After a few reboots of both the Dock and the computer things seem to be stable. No dismounting of docks or Ethernet (or monitor for that matter). Sleep mode works well - hit the button on top of the Dock and the computer goes to sleep. Hold the button down for 2-3 seconds to wake it up. I have done restarts and cold rebooting and everything seems to function normally.

This is the second batch of Docks that Dell just put on their website last Thursday - shipped out on Friday with next business day service (free).

Now will have to see how it works in day to day use. The fan does operate while the dock is plugged it but at low speed and is not bothersome.

February 22nd, 2016 18:00

Good luck.. do let us know as I'll be ordering the TB15 and WD15 tomorrow.

Is there a way to differentiate the first batch from the second batch? Like maybe a revision stamp on the bottom of the dock?

Are the internals any different or is it just shipped with a newer firmware?

No revision stamp. I suspect perhaps newer firmware as I can't see how they could make significant hardware revisions and get the units into the supply chain in only 3 weeks.

53 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 19:00

On the bottom of the TB15 dock there's a PPID code.
Mine ends in -A00 which I believe is the hardware revision (same on the cardboard box).
Is yours still -A00 as well?

I'm still within the 30 days return window. I need to decide whether to return it or just wait for a firmware update.

February 23rd, 2016 04:00

On the bottom of the TB15 dock there's a PPID code.
Mine ends in -A00 which I believe is the hardware revision (same on the cardboard box).
Is yours still -A00 as well?

I'm still within the 30 days return window. I need to decide whether to return it or just wait for a firmware update.

A00 it is! There is also a date - 1/19

Could you also look on the bottom of the 240W power brick and give me the Dell model number - I want to see if it is available on the open market in case my power requirements change and I want to upgrade in the future.

BTW - when I had the TB 15 240W model it was quire warm (almost hot) after being on for just a few minutes. My current one is cool to the touch - don't know whether that reflects 180W vs 240W or something in the software has changed things.

February 23rd, 2016 04:00

Is there anyone who could look at their 240W power adaptor and give me the Dell model number off the bottom. I'd like to see if this is available in case I want to upgrade to 240W in the future if my power requirements change?

1 Message

February 23rd, 2016 06:00

Mine has been problematic as well.  Just got all the drivers installed as the docs suggested though.  I've been having hard hangs the last few days after the bios changes, though I'm on a Precision 5510

The PPID ends in A00 for me as well.

53 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 07:00

Is there anyone who could look at their 240W power adaptor and give me the Dell model number off the bottom.

GA240PE1-00

Here on Amazon.

57 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

Unfortunately I will be returning my TB15 dock. I spent several hours this morning installing all of the updated drivers, in the order recommended in Collins most recent post, with reboots between each driver install.

I was able to install all my usb devices and my monitor to the dock and everything worked for about 2 minutes after I closed the laptop. At that point my monitor went blank and everything disconnected from the dock. I was able to get the monitor running but none of the other devices would reconnect to the dock. It was actually worse than the previous unstable state that I was experiencing with the previous drivers.

Clearly this thing is not ready for prime time. I'm done being Dell's beta tester. 

53 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 09:00

I noticed Intel released new Thunderbolt drivers (link) but when I install them and connect the dock I get a dialog saying I need to update the Thunderbolt firmware as well.

I'm assuming (hoping) Dell is working on it and will be releasing it soon.

In its current state the TB15 dock is beyond useless, is infuriating. My last day to return it is Feb 29. If I don't get the new firmware by then I'll have no choice.
But perhaps what bothers me the most about this dock, is not that basically it doesn't work, but the total and complete lack of support and communication from Dell. It's like the TB15 never existed or was never released. Dell, it would take so little to turn a lot of disgruntled users into loyal customers...

February 23rd, 2016 09:00

It seems to me that Dell should be comping us for these docks as we've unknowingly been used as beta testers. Otherwise, I suspect they'll be getting a whole lot of returns in the next week which they'll have to refurbish and resell.

53 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 12:00

I notice on the Dell website there are 2 locations that Thunderbolt Controller Driver are found (Chipset and Docks) - one was last updated Feb 22 and the other Feb19 - confusing.

Some smart web developer at Dell must have come up with the brilliant idea of the Last Updated field. Which is nothing but a date that gets updated whenever somebody change the description. The real files (drivers, app, firmwares etc.) are still the same and refer to the Release Date.
And to add to the confusion, Dell lists the same file under different categories! /SMH

I'm assuming you tried this but I'll go ahead and ask anyway - have you tried uninstalling all the drivers on Docks and Chipset that refer to the TB15 - rebooting after each one and then do a shutdown and reboot and then reinstall all the drivers on Colun's list rebooting between each one and then do a cold reboot at the end? That is what I did and my system seems to work fine - I've tried to do things to provoke it and still is working. Maybe I was just lucky. I did not go beyond Feb 19 - I steered clear of the Feb 22 update.

Besides the fact that I consider achieving system stability by installing drivers only in a certain sequence preposterous, yes believe me, I tried everything Colin suggested and much more, without much luck unfortunately.
If it's true that your system is stable, then your re-released TB15 must indeed be different from the previous ones. Perhaps a new firmware that Dell hasn't given us yet?

No Events found!