Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 21st, 2005 17:00

Start Up Beep Error Code

System: Inspiron 2600, Windows XP Home
Upon Start up I keep getting a continous rapid beep code. I have to press Escape to stop the beeps.
The Desktop then loads up in an apparent normal manner.

Have reformatted and reloaded the O.S. twice and still get the continoue code mentioned above.

Other problems which may or may not be related are:

1. While in Windows Explorer the cursor keeps going back up to the top of the Win Explorer window. No matter where I attempt to place the cursor on any other sub-directorythe cursor keeps returning to the top of the window. In this case it keeps going back up to the Desktop sub-directory.

It seems as though after about 15 or 20 minutes the Cursor eratic behaivor.stops.

2. Every time I attempt to do a Scan Disk upon re-boot, the scan disk process s always cancelled by the system. 

3. At times when ever I click on an item and a new window pops up,  it pops up behind the initial window.

It is my un professional opinion that my problems are hardware related. However I am unable to find any information relative to the rapid continous beeps on startup.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecieated! T.I.A.

HawaiiDiver

563 Posts

January 21st, 2005 18:00

Hello HawaiiDiver,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

Rapid beeps during post normally would mean that you have a stuck key on the keyboard. I would test each key in a word application just to see If you can narrow down which key is stuck or run diags and test your keyboard for failures. Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

January 22nd, 2005 04:00

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the tip, will check it out and report back the results.

HawaiiDiver
No Events found!