Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 6th, 2009 03:00

Studio 1555 and AC Adapter not being recognized

I bought a Dell Studio 1555 in May.  about a month later I began occasionally getting an error message that stated the computer did not recognize the AC Adapter, my system woudl run slower and my battery wouldn't charge.  At first it was sporadic and then I had to hit F1 every time I turned on the computer and then my external baterry stopped charging.  The battery was replaced with a newonw.  Agin ... a couple of weeks went by, I started gettign the same message again, and now I get it every time I turn on the computer, and my battery isn't charging again.  Is anyone esle having this problem?  Is it the battery or the computer?  I am calling tech support again, but I'm a little frustrated.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 6th, 2009 04:00

It could be the adapter -- call and have that replaced under warranty.  If that doesn't fix the problem, have the mainboard replaced.

19 Posts

October 7th, 2009 14:00

Hi,

Just try to update the Bios from  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WV64&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIO1555&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

If the problem persist, Contact Tech support and have motherboard and Ac adapter replaced.

Regards,

Babu

539 Posts

October 8th, 2009 16:00

October 8th, 2009 17:00

Wow ... so at least I'm not alone.  I must say I am disappointed with this Dell and the issue with the adapter.  They replaced the adapter twice, no fix, they replaced the jack, no fix, tomorrow they replace the mother board, we will see., 

1 Message

September 30th, 2010 21:00

Same thing happened to me on my studio 1555. They replaced the adapter and the battery. Also asked me to send the laptop in so they can replace the motherboard. However, when I sent it in, they said they ran diagnostics and there were no problems found. So we will see how long before the I run into problems.  What makes me most mad is I cleaned up the computer before I sent it in, thinking they were gonna reinstall stuff, etc... Nope, I got it back as I sent it in. I guess I need to figure out how to set it back to its original factory settings and then start loading my own software again.

6 Posts

April 8th, 2011 15:00

This has all started happening to our laptop as soon as the year's warranty ran out - so I am stuck now with a rubbish laptop - battery charging issues, have to keep it plugged in all the time - and also the keyboard has basically fallen apart.

Have always bought Dell - but doubt I ever will again

23 Posts

March 4th, 2012 05:00

Same problem here.  Can anyone confirm if the laptop will continue to power up and work if plugged into AC power after the battery is at 0% charged.  TIA.  

6 Posts

March 4th, 2012 06:00

unfortunately for mine the battery died completely almost immediately after the offending AC power was attached - I don't know whether this was a coincident or not

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Just remove the battery.  If the system won't run on AC alone, it's not just the battery that's faulty.

23 Posts

Thank you Ummy.  After your battery was dead (at 0% charge), if you plug the laptop into the AC power would the laptop still power up and work on AC power only? Since I don't take my laptop out of the house often I'm trying to determine if it will still work on AC power after the battery is dead...that way I won't need to buy another laptop right away.  TIA.

23 Posts

Thanks so much enj63.  i guess I'll have to wait and see.  Since I don't take my laptop out of the house often I'm trying to determine if it will still work on AC power after the battery is dead...that way I won't need to buy another laptop right away.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Unless something other than the battery is bad, yes it will.

6 Posts

March 4th, 2012 07:00

I have 2 Studios in the family with exactly the same situation - BOTH only work on AC power.  Batteries are dead.

What occurred ;

My daughters Studio started losing power rapidly far too quickly - it wasn't that old either.  Thinking it was the adaptor because it seemed a bit ropey so we bought a replacement one (not from Dell) - got the warnings about not being recognised but it did try to charge the battery very briefly, but then it gave up completely not charging the battery.  My husband has an identical studio..... so we wondered whether we could charge the battery in his laptop but no luck - so it seems the battery was dead.

So next we put his perfectly good 100% working battery into her laptop - that battery then died within a day - something in her laptop seemed to completely drain the batteries.  So now he doesn't have a working battery either.

So now we have 2 dead batteries, one good AC lead and one replacement lead - but it doesnt matter because both batteries are dead and so both laptops ONLY work on AC power.  

Phew !

23 Posts

March 4th, 2012 09:00

A thousand thank yous! :)  So obvious but did not think of it.

23 Posts

March 4th, 2012 09:00

Thank  you ummy.  My studio is in it's third year but I'm trying to put off buying a new laptop.  As long as it works on AC power I can buy myself some time.  

No Events found!