Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2009 19:00

Studio 1737 DPC Latency

Hello! My Studio 1737 is showing the DPC Latency problems described as in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19245700/19411542.aspx

Symptoms include periodic crackle and popping sounds during audio playback. The problem is most severe with wireless broadband enabled and disabling it greatly helps but does not completely solve the problem.

Research on the web shows this is a fairly widespread problem known to affect Studio laptops, and that BIOS upgrades have resolved the problem for other computers including Dell's XPS line.

So I'm hoping this will be fixed soon. Has anyone been able to get information from Dell support about whether this will be fixed with a BIOS update for the 1737?

Cheers,

-Andy

14 Posts

October 16th, 2009 05:00

Hi Bill,

Any progress with this issue.  I was told on 10/6 that  a "box" was being sent out to me for the fix, but it sound like: 1) the box isn't coming, 2) the fix isn't with the MOBO as the technician may have thought.   If there is a legitimate fix in the works I can hold on a week or so....   

Also, they tried to walk me through installing the new BIOS update A07 but it wouldn't let me update it....says  "machine information not detected" and "version information can't be detected".    Any thoughts?   

I have the original packaging.   Perhaps I should take the initiative.

56 Posts

October 16th, 2009 08:00

OSX does not work well on any of the studios. I had problems getting the drivers to work. XP seems to be the best to drive down the latency(according to DPCLat.exe) but the firewire card does not work under XP, so it renders XP usless for me. Atleast I can't find a working driver for the firewire on the 1737. I have also tried Ubuntu but the snaps and crackels in the audio is still there. I would try Windows 7 but none of my audio gear works on it yet.  It looks like there is only hope for a bios update to fix the problems we all face with this series.

12 Posts

I tried putting Mac OS X on my Dell Studio but couldn't get it work properly.  If anyone knows how to get OS X working on a Dell Studio 1537 PLEASE let me know!

I am currently running Windows 7 on my Dell Studio.  It is a much better OS than Vista but the latency issue is no better.  This laptop is still a dinner tray.

Currently saving for a Macbook :0p

3 Posts

This might be a stupid question but

Has anyone tried installing Windows 7 on their studio?

I heard of someone putting OS X on their studio and that took care of the latency problems.  Or does Windows 7 use the same drivers as vista?

7 Posts

October 16th, 2009 11:00

Hi Trent,

Under Windows XP provessionnal (SP2 or SP3), you do not have to install any firewire drivers to get the firewire port on the 1737 to work.  When the installation of the OS is completed, it should work.  The problem could be the drivers of the equipment connected to the firewire or a hardware problem where the firewire will not work at all what ever the OS.

56 Posts

October 16th, 2009 12:00

I installed SP2 and upgraded to SP3. The controller just has an explination mark beside of it. I will get my hands on XP service pack 3 disc and reload windows.

7 Posts

October 16th, 2009 13:00

Trent, just for the record, I use Windows XP Professionnal SP2 with no problem.  So it could also work with SP3.

I think what you are talking about is the IEE1394 network or something like that.  It has nothing to do with the firewire port.  I have the same item with a yellow "!" beside it.  I think this is a virtual network to connect 2 PC by the firewire port with a special cable but it is not supported under Windows XP for this model of laptop (1737).  Simply disable it and you won't have any problem.

I use a Presonus firepod (now FP10) connected to my firewire port with cubase SX 3 without any problem.  As it has already been told, you have to suspend the ACPI.SYS by using Process Explorer to get clean audio streams.

56 Posts

October 16th, 2009 14:00

That must be what I am thinking about. I'll give it a go tonight and see how it goes!

14 Posts

October 20th, 2009 15:00

Panfil,

I have the Studio 1737 64bit running Vista.  When I run the DPC lanency test I get spikes every 4 seconds or so and it is showing up in my audio recordings.  I'm using Toneport Ux-1 as my audio interface.   The latency problem is aweful.   If I install Windows XP Professional, does all this go away?  I can't suspend the ACPI sys in Vista.   And if I could, will it cause the internal fan to shut down hence frying the motherboard?

Bill.....is this a hardware of software problem??????  Please advise...

10 Posts

October 21st, 2009 05:00

@Bill from Dell :

It's been a long time since we had solid news about the evolution of the research on a fix. Could you please update us ? Seems like what has really been done effectively so far is buy Dell some more time.

Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2009 08:00

UPDATING: We got a new BIOS in test. It shows early signs of improvement, but has to be fully tested before it can be web posted. There also remains some concern on 2 families of WLAN cards with regards to partial root cause of the overall symptom. We are working with the card vendors and requesting driver updates for qualification and testing. Still no firm ETA as of this time.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2009 08:00

@Bill from Dell :

It's been a long time since we had solid news about the evolution of the research on a fix. Could you please update us ? Seems like what has really been done effectively so far is buy Dell some more time.

Thanks in advance.

I just sent over a request for information. Will post back what I hear as soon as I get a reply.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2009 09:00

Where can we sign up to be a beta tester for the new bios? I would greatly like to participate in putting the new bios though its paces. 

If I get a copy (doubtful) you're on my list. :emotion-1:

56 Posts

Where can we sign up to be a beta tester for the new bios? I would greatly like to participate in putting the new bios though its paces. 

Bill, once again, thanks for keeping us all updated and keeping everything so transparent. Hopefully the new update will fix everything :)

No Events found!