Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2015 10:00

Studio 1749 issues

Having several different issues with my Studio 1749.  I'll explain separately incase they are not related.

1.  First off battery life is almost depleted.  Been getting a replace the battery message for about a month.  Don't want to replace battery if the computer is on its last leg.

2.  Recently the screen started blinking while in use.  Sometimes mimimal and some times a lot.

3.  On startup both my screen  and keyboard blinks(a lot).  Take longer to boot up and eventually goes into issue #2 mode.

4.  With #2 above after a hour and a half or more the computer just powers off without any warning.  No warning just shuts down.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 13th, 2015 17:00

Hi 36racin,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

Also, please check if the system is overheating.

13 Posts

July 13th, 2015 20:00

Bios was already updated last week. I had found another online article where you recommended doing it.

Also did the diagnostics last week. All passed. But did bios and diagnostics again. On the second part of the diagnostics now. Funny thing is half way thru the screen flicker has quit. I guess I'm calling it a screen flicker is correctly.  

How would I check for overheating??  I no longer hear thee cooling fan kick on. Is there a way to check this?

13 Posts

July 14th, 2015 04:00

Completed all checks per described and no issues found.  Fan motor does work.  Is there another way to check for over heating?

Todd

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 16th, 2015 10:00

Hi 36racin,

If the BIOS is already updated. I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.
2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.
3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.
4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, please connect an external display and check if issue reoccurs.

13 Posts

July 28th, 2015 09:00

Completed the above items.  Sorry

13 Posts

July 28th, 2015 09:00

Completed the items below. Still not acting correctly. Screen still blinks but it's like the computer is powering up after you open screen from closed position. When connected to the tv the screen is black but shows on tv screen. Picture is very bad quality. With lines going in different directions like a rock hit the screen. Also if you close the screen the computer looks like it continues to power up. I can hear the fan come on then shut off. If this was just a LCD display problem why is it trying to start when closed and why does keyboard also blink.   I know it's hard diagnosing like this. Sorry

13 Posts

August 8th, 2015 16:00

Completed another diagnostics check last night of all systems. When it got to the hard drive I received three different error codes. Those being

OFOO:1344, 1332,& 0244

These codes were given during the confidence test.  Could this have been my problem from the start. Now when powering up the computer it almost immediately shuts back down. Takes three or four times to eventually get it to start up now.

Thanks,

Todd

13 Posts

August 10th, 2015 18:00

Ok so today I was surfing around the web and came across another post by someone that had similar issues with screen flicker.  Only they had screen and key board flicker.  One of the recommendation besides BIOS upgrades, f-12 diagnostics and hardware diagnostics was to remove the key board and disconnect the touch pad, repower the computer and see if the problem went away.  So I disconnected my touch pad, repowered computer with "NO" screen or keyboard flicker.  I didn't just want to say that was the problem so I reconnected and problem returned.  Actually tried it several times and the problem came back each time.  Currently it's disconnected and I am using a mouse to move pointer around.  I'll update again when the touchscreen is replaced.

If anyone knows why I was getting the error codes above please let me know

Todd

No Events found!