Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2010 08:00

Studio Laptop 1558 Giant Mouse Cursor Randomly

I just bought a Studio 1558 with WIndows 7 64-bit and an i7 processor notebook... I have to say, Win7 is unpredicatble and flakey.

One issue I have with the mouse, is is starts regular size, then randomly explands to a huge mouse cursor... and I have to reboot to return it back to normal.  I've tried changing themes and mouse settings in the control panel, but nothing works, only a reboot corrects the problem.

I've updated my video drivers to to the latest on the website, and after some looking around on Google, it looks like my video card might be to blame.. but I can't find a driver on Dell to fix this issue.

My Video card is the ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Driver: v8.711.0.0

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 30th, 2010 14:00

Sounds like you inadvertently turned on Magnifier. Turn it off. It usually is listed when you press the Start button. If it's not there, find in under Ease of Access in Control Panel or just type Magnifier to have it popup at the top of the column.

12 Posts

April 30th, 2010 14:00

No, that's not what happened.  If you search Google, this is a common Win7 problem with the Radeon card, and there are hotfixes for the PCI and PCIe versions, but I can't find one for my laptop.

if anyone has a link to the proper driver, or a hotfix that would be apprecaited!

Thanks,

May 17th, 2010 01:00

got the same problem with the mouse cursor. I confirm it's not the magnifying application. I'm looking for fixes for my studio 1558 too.

7 Posts

May 24th, 2010 12:00

I have the exact same laptop. I found a solution, and you don't have to quit any of your programs by restarting your system. You can fix this problem, note that it's not permanent and you must repeat the process if the problem is to reoccur, by simply restarting your drivers. To do this easily, you can simply go into ATI Catalyst Control Center and select the "Desktop Properties" section under the drop-down menu "Graphics", which is situated in the top left hand corner of the window. Once inside the "Desktop Properties", change the rotation of the screen to whatever you like, and simply press no when it asks you if you would like to keep these properties. When the rotation is changed, the driver is restarted and your mouse is returned to normal size.

Edit 1: Also note that you must be in ATI Catalyst Control Center Advanced to do this, not basic.

5 Posts

May 25th, 2010 00:00

Also having the same issue at times, regardless of Catalyst version.  It's not a Dell-only problem, btw.  I'm presently running 10.4 on Win7x64HP.  Easiest fix?  Right click the desktop, click screen resolution drop it down a notch, hit apply, then revert.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2010 15:00

Yeah, anything that can restart the driver will do that. You can also fix it by changing the screen orientation under screen resolution. It does the same thing, and just click revert. It'll be fixed after that. Sometimes switching users works too, but not all the time.

12 Posts

May 31st, 2010 15:00

Yup that works... resetting the screen size will reset the pointer.

Seriously, I have had nothing but trouble with this laptop and windows 7... from Mickey mouse stuff like this, to the laptop freezing and randomly rebooting daily.  I think I'll re-install my old XP on the laptop, this OS is just plain trash.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2010 12:00

Hmm, these options don't seem to work for my Dell laptop - anyone found a proper fix?

12 Posts

June 6th, 2010 12:00

I have a feeling no one at Dell actually reads these forums, and it seems like once the cpu is out the door, they have no interest in you as a customer anymore (Unless you want to buy move stuff from the million emails I get)...

Anyway, the fix that works for me was to right click on my desktop, choose Screen Resolution and change it to something, click apply, then revert back to the original settings.  Since I have to do this 20-30 times a day, I just leave that window open.

Seems like a pretty unstable system over all, this is the least of my problems with this laptop!!

3 Posts

June 14th, 2010 10:00

I'm also waiting for a dell solution/reply. I have a studio 1558 with mobile radeon 5470 also. I found that the least ugly way to mask the problem is to enable mouse tray at minimum. I fear that must be a amd issue because it has been them the common link in this issue on all sites I looked...  

2 Posts

June 14th, 2010 17:00

I've found a simple solution to this annoyance. Just start Magnifier (adjust to 100%) and the pointer will go back to normal. I've pinned it to the task bar. It will go big again if you close the Magnifier.

12 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 15:00

About time someone from Dell replies!

I called "Support" about two weeks ago, and gave them this post to document in the ticket... never heard peep back from them...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2010 15:00

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention.  I will alert the appropriate groups and post updates when they become available.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2010 16:00

Hi, everyone. I did a little digging while I was waiting on an answer. I am not sure if you can install a hotfix that comes from ATI, but if you want to give it a shot, try this and post back how it goes. In the meantime, I am still waiting on an official update that I can post back here."

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 18:00

Thanks for helping us out, Terry. I hope this hotfix works even though this fix is from 2009 and I'm running the latest version of Catalyst.

Can you please be kind enough to look at this issue as well: Dell Studio 1558 Freezes? Lots of people are having this problem without getting any good answers from Dell support.

No Events found!