Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2009 18:00

Studio XPS1340 choppy video playback win7 x64

As soon as I received my studio XPS 1340 I reformatted the hard drive and loaded windows 7 professional 64bit.  However, the playback of any video is now choppy.  It is not continuously choppy, just at certain times the playback will freeze/stutter.  I initially thought it was the DVD player since it skips on DVDs.  However I have noticed that it skips on any video whether it is a DVD or a downloaded file.  Has anyone experienced similar problems with win7 64 bit and studio XP 1340?  Please help

3 Posts

January 20th, 2010 21:00

I am having exactly the same problem. Have boosted performance and quit what programs I could, not found any answers myself.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2010 06:00

I have found that if I use a normal dvd player and not the cyberlink power dvd player it plays fine.

4.6K Posts

January 21st, 2010 08:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I have found that if I use a normal dvd player and not the cyberlink power dvd player it plays fine.

I'm guessing you mean the latter of these, but by "normal", do you mean it plays OK in a stand-alone DVD player (i.e. in a home cinema setup), or do you mean in other media player software?

I was going to suggest the OP try different media player software - i.e. VLC, to see of the problem persists?

That'll help narrow the cause down to either software or hardware/drivers :emotion-55:

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 07:00

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

My Studio XPS running Windows 7 64bit came with the Windows Media Player installed. Within this I have Cyberlink PowerDVD DX 8.3.5714, using this no matter what settings I have tried the DVD playback always stutters, not all the time but enough to make it unwatchable. When the playback stutters you can hear the dvd drive spinning as though it is trying to catch up.

However within Windows Media Player, under the Movies section there is a "play dvd" option, choosing this the DVD plays fine. The only problem is you do not get all the added features you get with Cyberlink.

I have read that the sound drivers could be faulty but I haven't tried messing with these yet as I have only just got the laptop.

I have read also about the dma setup but I do not have that option in the settings on this laptop.

Studio XPS 13(N00X1302)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz), Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English

Item

Description

Base

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz)

Memory

4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

Keyboard

Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard

Video Card

512MB nVidia GeForce 210M graphics card - MLK

Hard Drive

320GB Free Fall Sensor (7200RPM) Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English

Optical Devices

Internal DVD+/-RW (DVD & CD read and write) Slot Load Drive(Software Install, no media)

Wireless Networking

Dell Wireless 1515 Half Mini Card (802.11n)

Cables

1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK

Shipping Documents

English - Documentation Studio XPS 13

Gedis Bundle Reference

N12X1302

Standard Warranty

1 year of coverage included with your PC

Enhanced Service Packs

1 year of coverage included with your PC

Bluetooth

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module

Order Information

Studio XPS 13 Order - UK

Primary Battery

Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Carrying Cases

No Carry Case

Dell System Media Kit

Studio XPS 13 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)

Camera

Integrated Camera with Facial Recognition Software

Accidental Damage Support

No Accidental Damage Support

Online Backup

DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year

Napster Promotion

Free Napster® with 60 Free Songs and 1 year Free Music Streaming

Call Dell Experts

One free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchase

Labels

Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo

LCD

Black Leather back cover 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display with TrueLife

DataSafe

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Microsoft Application Software

Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)

Protect your new PC

McAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - English

Power Supply

90W AC Adaptor

No Events found!