Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2010 22:00

Studio Xps 16 backlit keyboard issues

I've had this problem a while and noticed that others have it too. My keyboard won't become lit up when I type, however the mouse buttons and the caps lock button lights up when pressed. Other sources point to installing the Quickset and I have but with no change in results. If anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it because calling dell support is awful.

Thanks,

Ian

48 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 07:00

Try FN+RIGHTARROW.  It cycles between bright -> dim -> off on my XPS 16.

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 18:00

Yes, I have tried that too. I can see the light cycle but only on my mouse keys.

60 Posts

July 4th, 2010 03:00

Did you try going through Windows Mobility Center? There is a keyboard brightness there, on  bottom left, that allows you more adjustments. Click on the picture of keyboard that opens new windows: Keyboard Backlighting. You must have Quick Set installed.

Failing that I would suspect wire connection somewhere.

6 Posts

July 4th, 2010 21:00

I just did it and it's set to bright.  I notice as i change it that the mouse buttons on the touch pad change. I too suspected a loose wire, but i have a 3 year hardware warranty. Just if you know, would this be covered? and if so I guess i have to make a call.....

60 Posts

July 4th, 2010 22:00

I expect this to be covered by warranty, but reading this forum I will be carefull about possibility of Dell replacing parts (laptop) with refurbished ones. Especially if you have to return equipment to them.

48 Posts

July 5th, 2010 08:00

This will be covered unless you, for example, spilled coffee on it.

15 Posts

July 5th, 2010 09:00

If you bought the right warranty, spilled coffee would be covered too.

1 Message

October 24th, 2010 21:00

Thanks GPIG!  Wondered why my backlit keyboard and mouse stopped working and this worked perfect!

No Events found!