Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2013 16:00

Super Speed USB 3.0 Docking Station - No power to laptop?

Laptop is on and plugged into the docking station which is "powered".  Connection to monitor / keyboard and mouse is fine, however I'm surprised to see a lower power - plug is soon message.  Isn't docking station supposed to provide power to the laptop?

2 Posts

July 9th, 2014 20:00

I have an Inspiron 16R, and it doesn't have the connectors on the bottom, so I guess I'm out of luck.  I only commented because some of the posts were sarcastic and stating that it is unheard of to have the laptop charge through the dock.

I realize that the docking station requires a power cord, but I didn't think I would need to plug power into both the laptop and docking station individually.  I have a small area, and my surge protectors are full (laptop, dock, monitor, printer, scanner, phone, modem, router, phone modem, etc).  

Oh well, it is what it is.  

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 10th, 2014 07:00

I have an Inspiron 16R, and it doesn't have the connectors on the bottom, so I guess I'm out of luck.  I only commented because some of the posts were sarcastic and stating that it is unheard of to have the laptop charge through the dock.

I realize that the docking station requires a power cord, but I didn't think I would need to plug power into both the laptop and docking station individually.  I have a small area, and my surge protectors are full (laptop, dock, monitor, printer, scanner, phone, modem, router, phone modem, etc).  

Oh well, it is what it is.  

It's not unheard of for a laptop to charge through a docking station, but it IS unheard of for a laptop to charge through a USB port, which is the only way this particular docking station attaches.

As for surge protector constraints, pick up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Protector-Ethernet-Protection-Extended/dp/B000HPX46U.  The 6 outlets facing the edge are all widely spaced to accommodate wall warts, and then you've also got 6 more going down the middle like a typical surge protector.  It's awesome. :)

August 12th, 2014 06:00

Hi All,

Just like to say I am disappointed with this product as well.  I am having problems keeping drivers installed for this product.  Plus I find it more difficult to use than the older D and E series docks due to having to fumble around with cords.  I will not purchase a laptop without a real docking connector again. Dell needs to clearly list which of their laptops to except a real docking solution and which do not...

November 15th, 2014 20:00

The Dell docking station I use at work DOES charge.  So I too was expecting that the one I bought for my new laptop at home would do the same.  I also feel cheated.

1 Message

March 18th, 2015 10:00

I'm late to the game here concerning the confusion around whether the Dell Super Speed 3.0 "Docking Station" should actually charge the laptop, too.

I'm experiencing the same frustration as other folks, thinking that a docking station would, indeed, charge my laptop. While I'd love to go into how easily this confusion could occur, I'd much rather just ask: 

"Why are you being such a d!ck? Did you design this thing and now want to throw a tantrum because people aren't falling in love with it? Is Micheal Dell your brother and you will defend him to the end?"

I'm not gonna read what you write back (if you do) because you're obviously a sad, lonely, misunderstood port replicator acolyte. But I just had to let everyone else who had the misfortune of reading your pissy little replies know that there's at least one more person on the internet who thinks you're a total d!ck.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 18th, 2015 11:00

I'm late to the game here concerning the confusion around whether the Dell Super Speed 3.0 "Docking Station" should actually charge the laptop, too.

I'm experiencing the same frustration as other folks, thinking that a docking station would, indeed, charge my laptop. While I'd love to go into how easily this confusion could occur, I'd much rather just ask: 

"Why are you being such a d!ck? Did you design this thing and now want to throw a tantrum because people aren't falling in love with it? Is Micheal Dell your brother and you will defend him to the end?"

I'm not gonna read what you write back (if you do) because you're obviously a sad, lonely, misunderstood port replicator acolyte. But I just had to let everyone else who had the misfortune of reading your pissy little replies know that there's at least one more person on the internet who thinks you're a total d!ck.

Since you didn't quote anybody, it's hard to tell to whom this is directed, but I guess if you don't intend to read any of the person's replies, it doesn't really matter.  In any case, not that it helps in this particular case, but the new USB-C connector actually WILL allow laptops to be charged (so long as they can cope with 100W or less), so I suppose people who expected a laptop to draw current in through its USB port will then be vindicated.

1 Message

August 17th, 2015 17:00

Clearly Austin has forgotten why we get docking stations. To make using our lap top easier. As I just got a new company Dell laptop with the promise that the docking station is going to kick *** they were right.

I figured as I had many other laptops with docking stations that powered the laptop I also made the assumption (an *** out of me) that the new and improved Dell would be better than the competition.

I read all the literature before agreeing on the Dell. Only to find out on page 51 I read from another post that the docking station is not a docking station but a hub for the monitors and additional USB ports. A second power supply must be use on Dell Laptops. I will have to go look at pictures of my old laptops  when we were forced to use Dell to confirm that the docking stations DID power the lap top.

Making them for a larger profit seems to be the key from Austin now...... Oh well not to buy more power supplies so I don't have to crawl under my desk each time I want to take my laptop home.....

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 03:00

This is not good as a Docking Station should always power/charge the laptop when "DOCKED" hence the word docking station. Peripherals with the ability to charge/power from USB ports should also charge through the docking station.

Dell should rectify this false advertising. I was severely displeased with the Latitude 7350 which I bought as a frequent business traveler, only to find out that I should have bought a second power cord rather than the port replicator advertised as a Docking station. . What a joke...  Mike

1 Message

March 3rd, 2016 06:00

What about Precision M3800 e Docking D1000? Ac power of the docking has only 45W, while the Precision AC has 130W.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 08:00

What about Precision M3800 e Docking D1000? Ac power of the docking has only 45W, while the Precision AC has 130W.

Those docking stations do not power the laptop.  They're essentially somewhere between port replicators of yore and full docking stations in that they provide all connectivity (including dual displays) EXCEPT power, so if you wanted a dedicated power supply for your laptop at that docking station, you'd need to buy and connect one separately from the docking station, which connects only via USB 3.0.  Also, I think the D1000 is obsolete now and there are newer ones that support higher resolution displays, for example.

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 12:00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162017404325?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true  

This is one of many. I used to have a 12" Dell for a few years and it had a docking station which had its own AC and charged the laptop. The tiny bit of credibility you may have had is gone, really.

1 Message

June 27th, 2016 12:00

Is there no situation where the laptop can even receive minimal power from the USB 3.0? Are there any work arounds to having to plug in the laptop ac adapter every time?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 27th, 2016 15:00

Is there no situation where the laptop can even receive minimal power from the USB 3.0? Are there any work arounds to having to plug in the laptop ac adapter every time?

Just for clarity, you don't have to plug the AC adapter into the laptop to use the dock, so if your battery has enough juice, you're fine.  Otherwise, no there are no workarounds.  The USB 3.0 spec only specifies 4.5 W of power (900 mA @ 5V), whereas a typical laptop AC adapter provides 45-65W; the other problem is that in USB 3.0, host devices (such as laptops, as opposed to slave devices like the peripherals you would attach to them) can only provide power, not receive it.  This all changes with USB Type-C, where power can flow in either direction and the maximum power is raised all the way to 100 W, but of course that only helps if you have a laptop and power-providing peripheral that both have USB Type-C.  So yes, this problem has been fixed, but not in a way that's going to help you with your current hardware.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2017 17:00

Of course the power is relayed to the laptop via the docking station.  You are playing with words here.  To most human beings, the dock is powered by the adapter.  The dock is then powering the laptop that is connected to the dock.  If you wanted to get literal about it, you could have said the power transformer on the phone pole outside is actually powering the laptop, not the power adapter.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2017 17:00

@ieee488:  I disagree.  I have had many Dell docking stations that charge my laptop.   This thing Dell called a docking station is not one, since it does not supply power to the laptop without another power adapter.

No Events found!