Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2016 23:00

System crashing on 8GB RAM installation

Hello,

I have a M4500 Dell Precision laptop (i7 Quad-core). I have installed 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on it. It works fine when i have 2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM installed on it, but when I install an 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, i get a blue screen when booting Windows and it restarts the system. I tried replacing the RAM with another 8GB RAM, and also tried switching to Windows 7 Home Premium, but I get the same problem of blue screen on booting.

Is it a motherboard issue? If so, how come 2GB RAMs work on it and not 8GB? Also I dont think it should be an OS compatibility issue as Windows 7 does support 8GB memory.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Mukul

• 

17K Posts

May 16th, 2016 11:00

The M4500 memory specs are listed below.

Memory Module Connector 2 DIMM slots
Memory Module Capacity 1GB, 2GB, 4GB
Memory Type DDR3 1067 MHz
Min to Max Memory 1GB to 8GB*
A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE: The computer supports a maximum of 8GB* of memory when installed with two 4GB DIMMs; however, a 32-bit operating systems, such as the 32-bit version of Microsoft® Windows® XP, can only use a maximum of 4GB of address space. Moreover, certain components within the computer require address space in the 4GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory; therefore, the amount of memory available to a 32-bit operating system is less than 4GB. Greater than 4GB memory requires 64-bit operating systems. 
No Events found!