2 Bronze

RE: TB16 Docking Station USB Ports Stopped Working

Jump to solution

Please be specific, are you recommending that all the items in the list below be uninstalled and then reinstalled?

-Install the latest Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver for the system. This is available in the "Chipset" section.

-Install the latest Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update for the system. This is available in the "Chipset" section.

-Install the latest Intel HD Graphics Driver for the system. This is available in the "Video" section.

Install the latest ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock. This is available in the "Docks & Stands" section.

-Install the latest RealTek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock. This is available in the "Docks & Stands" section.

-Install the latest RealTek USB Audio Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock. This is available in the "Docks & Stands" section.

Restart the system.

After the software update process completes, connect the AC adapter to the TB16 dock first and then attach the Thunderbolt 3 (Type C) cable to the computer before using the docking station.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Jump to solution

No, just uninstall and reinstall the Thunderbolt software (driver) and then the firmware. The first 2 items in your list.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

I had the same problem (USB ports stopped working - XPS 13 9360). Uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver solved all the USB issues...

Now I am trying to solve the problem with the Ethernet connection, which had stopped working too at the same time as the USB ports 😉

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Jump to solution

The Ethernet controller (and audio chip, for that matter) is connected via USB to the USB hub built into the dock, which itself requires the ASMedia USB Host Controller driver to operate.  If you're having trouble, I would uninstall and reinstall the Realtek USB GbE Ethernet driver and/or the ASMedia USB Host Controller driver.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I was having the exact same issue on my XPS 13 - after the latest Windows update my dock's USB ports & ethernet stopped working.  Reinstalling the Thunderbolt Controller Driver did the trick to resolve both issues.

For what it's worth, there are multiple versions of the Controller Driver floating around.  The latest one is here: www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

View solution in original post