Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 19:00

Terrible resolution issues on Dell XPS 13 2015 QHD model

Having really bad resolution issues on Dell XPS 13. 

I'm using it for University, and I'm doing a computer science course so the command line is an important feature. The text on it is completely zoomed out, I have went into the properties and maximized the font to no avail. Here's what it looks like, the image may not do it justice - I really have to squint to read it. 

Most other programs are like this too. Unity 3D looks really blurry, Sublime Text 2 looks the same. Text looks like it has been zoomed in on a few times so it fits the resolution and as a result you can almost see the individual pixels on text. 

Here's another program: Malwarebytes

This does feel like a bit of a joke considering the laptop is worth well over a thousand pounds.

June 6th, 2016 23:00

You may also have to change the resolution on your graphics card because NVIDIA has also been causing me problems.

Update, also check the display resolution options in your INTEL graphics driver, make sure they match, do not conflic,t with the resolution settings on your Dell Laptop. THEN, you will most likely have to restart your Laptop to see any of the affected changes to your screen display. Lowering the resolution will make many newer/updated apps and programs look out of  whack, BUT your older programs designed for windowx 7-8, and less than 4k resolution, should appear normal.

1.8K Posts

June 9th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

Have you gone into the screen resolution control panel for your system and selected the option to "Make text and other items larger or smaller" ?

If not, right click anywhere on your desktop and select the option to change screen resolution.   You should see that text size option near the bottom of the screen.    Alternately, you can go into your control panel on your system and go into the "Appearance and Personalization" section.  

TBH, I'm not sure that text control will work in the Command Prompt or not.  I would think that it basically another Window that the OS can control the font size, etc., but I've never really tried it so I am not sure it will work.   You may need to change the overall resolution of the monitor to get to an appropriate screen size.

Let me know if that text size adjustment helps or not.  if not, I'll see if I can find something else that may help.

Todd

1 Message

July 7th, 2015 11:00

Hi I have the XPS 13 and have a similar issue. I can only offer a solution to the cmd line window. If you go to the properties, select "Font" and choose "CONSOLAS" as the font you can now select a more realistic font size, 36 works for me. Then adjust the window size as appropriate.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2015 14:00

I have this same issue with the Resolution on Java Applications.  Or any software program using Java.  In fact, when I go to the Java website and run a test, it also occurs.  I had a Java troubleshoot the laptop and he could not find anything, indicating it was a resolution issues.

What happens is the Java applications squeeze into a teeny tiny size - if looking at the Dell XPS 13 Screen, the Java windows would take up 2" by 2" in size on the screen - and the font would appear smaller than this.

I contacted Dell support and they wanted to transfer me to a 3rd Party Paid Support service in order to fix this problem.  I refused this assistance since I had already paid a Java expert for help.

The laptop is a week old - I don't want to have to return it - but will if I can't get some sort of support or assistance.

When I look at the Display settings the Resolution is set at the highest - 3200 x1800 , and then at 250% to have the screen appear "normal" sized.  I am wondering if I lowered the resolution and set it a 100% the Java windows might then appear normal.  BUT  - then I lose that awesome Resolution I get on all the other programs

Any advice would be welcome at this point.  I'm really one step away from packing it all up and buying a Macbook instead.

(When I get home I can supply photo as examples)

August 25th, 2015 14:00

Hi Todd,

I just ordered this device and I intend to use it for game development (Unity3D). Should I be concerned about this resolution issue? 

Thanks.

1 Message

August 26th, 2015 07:00

hello, i tried making the screen resolutuion big. i have dell xpx 13 touch 9343 i7. but my icons look blur and the test also...is there any other way...otherwise default screen is way too small and the test is difficult to read.

August 26th, 2015 11:00

I give up. I've had to set my resolution to 1600 x 900, just to get productive with this XPS 13. Now everything looks fine.

I hope MSOFT fixes what I assume is a Windows problem, dealing with screens of the resolution available on the XPS 13. Or maybe Dell or a third party will come up with a solution.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2015 09:00

I got the Dell XPS 13 9343 (2015) with QHD touchscreen display couple of weeks back and the text size, font display at the maximum display resolution, in 3rd party apps horrible, to say the least.

The text is super tiny and in some programs, the text is completely messed up, overlayed, invisible, super huge etc.

I was just wondering if I should scale down the display resolution like what "Markmessinger" wrote above. May be I will try that and see if it fixes the problem.

I'm surprised that neither Dell now Microsoft bothered to look into this when designing / manufacturing / testing the laptop or Windows 10, respectively.

October 9th, 2015 06:00

I have the same laptop with the same problems. Frustrating that with such an expensive device this can happen and, more seriously, no solutions are provided.

December 14th, 2015 05:00

Same problem here. 6 months on and it still isn't resolved. Gigabyte have a piece of software installed on their laptops which enables you to scale everything - this effects all programs rather than just the windows interface. Why can't  Dell make some similar software? This is supposed to be one of their most advanced laptops at the moment. 

1 Message

December 20th, 2015 11:00

Does anyone have a solution to this ? I've just installed Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and I can barely see anything !?

3 Posts

December 29th, 2015 07:00

Same issue here: command prompt and VLC have ridiculously small displays; iTunes looks very blurry as well.

January 2nd, 2016 12:00

Same issue here too. This laptop has been very dissapointing. I have already had a screen replaced due to a noise bar. I cant work with it on a number of apps. Even using an extended monitor doesnt help. Currently using Ableton Suite and the open app window will just jump from normal size to tiny. I expect this is when the content is refreshed. I then cannot read it as the content is so small so cannot work. @Dell - the silence is deafening!

1 Message

January 2nd, 2016 13:00

im in the same boat. its getting to the point where im thinking of buying something else. this is really unacceptable.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2016 17:00

This really is unfortunate for a brand new, high-end laptop. I have 15 days left to decide if I'm going to keep it and I keep finding new programs that, because of the resolution issues, I literally cannot use on it (Quicken, Viber, etc.). I love the form-factor (via the small bezels) so much that I really want to be able to keep it, but between these resolution issues and the funky touchpad, I'm leaning strongly toward taking it back. A brand new laptop at this price-point should not be constantly frustrating to me.

No Events found!