Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2013 11:00

Tips for maintaining good battery health

Hello,

I'm a student and recently over a period of 2 weeks had a heavy workload due to essays.

During this time I was charging the laptop up and letting it run all the way regularly.

I've noticed that during this time my battery health on my Dell XPS 13 went from 97% to 93%, something which has cocerned me
, especially considering essays are common and that I have no warranty to replace the battery should it needed. The laptop is 18 months old and to have the battery health drop this much in such a short space of time is worrying. Am I charging/discharging the laptop incorrectly?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to retain good battery health because at this rate my battery will need replacing pretty soon, somethng I simply can't afford.

18 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 22:00

Just to add, I do like to play games on the laptop too. obviously not the newer triple-AAA titles, either older or indie titles.

I need to know what is the best method for maintaining good battery health.

When I want to play a game or have a heavy workload would it be better to keep the charger in the laptop even when it is fully charged?

During those 2 weeks of work I would charge the laptop and then when 100% take the charger out, let the battery run down and then charge it up again when needed. Is that harming the laptop?

Honestly, I have no confidence in how to charge/discahrge my laptop, particularly when considering leaving the charger in the laptop, something which I thought harms the battery more than charging/discharging

I would appreciate any help with this

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 8th, 2013 07:00

Hello. I honestly don't know what the best practices are, but you can read Dell's recommendations in the Laptop Battery FAQ. Most of your questions are addressed there.

Sorry for the delayed response -- I just came upon your thread by accident.

No Events found!