Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2017 22:00

Touch screen not working

My touch screen for my Inspiron 3558 stopped working today and I don't know why but I want it back. I tried running diagnostics for the touch screen in the product support section but it said it was "unable to find the selected device" and suggested I go to the drivers and downloads page to install the latest drivers, but when I did, it said that "no driver updates were found" so now I have absolutely no idea what to do. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 19th, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest powering off system, remove all peripherals -printer, external drive, etc.), AC adapter, battery, and then wait about 5 minutes. Press 'Power On' button for 15 seconds to release Status Flea Power. Replace battery, adapter and then power on system. Hopefully touch screen is working now.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 19th, 2017 06:00

Aeces wrote: ' I tried running diagnostics for the touch screen in the product support section but it said it was "unable to find the selected device"

If the touch screen still isn't fix....

Please type Device Manager Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, stroll down to Human Interface Devices and then expand it. At the Device Manager taskbar, click on 'Action' and then Scan For Hardware Changes. Hopefully touch screen is working now.

February 19th, 2017 22:00

I hope the answer posted by LSUFAN51 on 19 Feb 2017 will solve your problem. If it's not solved, please check whether your computer's screen is diabled or not. If it is disable, please turn it to enable. For checking it, please follow the steps.

Step 1: Right click the Start button.

Step 2: Click Device Manager OR search for 'Device Manager' from the Windows 8.1 Start screen.

Step 3: Select Human Interface Devices.

Step 4: Find a device with the words 'touch screen. In my system, it is 'HID-compliant touch screen'.

Step 5: Right-click on it and select Enable.

6 Posts

March 4th, 2017 15:00

I restored my laptop a week ago and it started working again but now the same thing is happening. I tried checking the device manager but there is no touch screen option. gyazo.com/6b42d9a5d52c71a131cbffaddfb16056 Another thing is I'm not sure where the battery is or how to remove it. www.dropbox.com/.../Photo Mar 04, 6 32 31 PM.jpg also ever since I removed the thing covering the battery and put it back in, I can no longer two finger scroll so that makes things even worse. Please help!

6 Posts

March 4th, 2017 15:00

Hello so a week ago I restored my laptop and it worked but now its not working again. There is no touch screen option in the human interface devices and I don't know where the battery I'm supposed to remove is. Another thing is ever since I removed the thing that covers the battery and put it back on, I can no longer two finger scroll which makes things even worse.

gyazo.com/9d3a92989e533d518bb2775a8e10e7f4

www.dropbox.com/.../Photo Mar 04, 6 32 31 PM.jpg

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 5th, 2017 06:00

If the touch screen doesn't appears, expand Disk Drives. Under Disk drives, right click the drive and then update it. Do the same for Display adapters as well.

Dell Inspiron 3543:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please expand Human Interface Devices again, click on Action, and then 'Scan For Hardware Changes'. Hopefully touch screen driver appears under Human Interface Devices. By the way, windows 10 is on the system? If you don't know, type msinfo32 into the search box, you'll see the system information.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you updated the Disk drives and Display adapters, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and then look for any yellow exclamation marks. If there any yellow exclamation mark, perform the following steps:

1. Right-click or touch and hold on the listing that has the yellow exclamation mark and select Update Software Driver.

2. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, and follow the prompts.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the touch screen still isn't fix.....

Run a custom test on USB port in your Dell Product Support:

Support for Inspiron 3558 | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 5th, 2017 07:00

Aeces wrote: " I don't know where the battery I'm supposed to remove is ".

:emotion-2:

According to your image, the battery is missing from the battery bay. Where is the battery ? The system is running without the battery.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 6th, 2017 06:00

Any update Aeces.....:emotion-2:

6 Posts

March 7th, 2017 09:00

There were no updated drivers, and I don't have a screen protector. I put the battery back in and its still not fixed. It also said I passed the USB test.

Is there anything I can install that will give me my touchscreen back? I have Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2017 10:00

Aeces wrote: " a week ago I restored my laptop and it worked but now its not working again"

You mean reinstall or reset windows 10 ? If yes,  check for latest windows updates are installed on the system. Please keep in mind, the touch screen driver is in one of those windows updates.

Type Settings, Update & Security, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart computer if required. If there're updates, do the process over and over until all updates are installed.

Please check Update History for any failed updates as well.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2017 10:00

Or...

Type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click 'View All', and then run windows update troubleshooter, run other tools as mark in image below:

No Events found!