Highlighted
2 Bronze

Touchpad Becomes Disabled After Closing Lid Windows 10

Jump to solution

I have an Inspiron 5547.  I have always had issues with the touchpad randomly becoming disabled. Every time this happens I have to completely restart the computer. But now that I've installed Windows 10, it automatically disables the touchpad when I close the lid.  I have all the settings on "do nothing." 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Dianne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Touchpad Becomes Disabled After Closing Lid Windows 10

Jump to solution

Hi,

What worked for me is change the settings of "Choose what closing the lid does" from "Do nothing" to "Sleep". The touchpad started working properly immediately. Then I changed back to "Do nothing" and the touchpad is working properly. Good luck!

S.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Dianne,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and touchpad drivers on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the BIOS from BIOS section and touchpad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would advise you to download and install the ‘TouchFreeze’ software from the link below and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Ravi, I tried what you said, but it didn't help.  However now the touchpad only sometimes stops working after closing the screen.  Also it sometimes stops working even if I haven't closed the screen.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Dianne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi,

What worked for me is change the settings of "Choose what closing the lid does" from "Do nothing" to "Sleep". The touchpad started working properly immediately. Then I changed back to "Do nothing" and the touchpad is working properly. Good luck!

S.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dear Fine Wine,

Thanks so much!  I will try that.

Dianne

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you sangi0vese, for your answer from 2 1/2 years ago! I tried everything suggested by Dell & others, updating and re-updating drivers, and going crazy from exactly the same problem described by Dianne's original post. Finally, such an elegant and simple solution. Thanks so very much!

0 Kudos