Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 9th, 2012 21:00

Unable to get screen to turn back on (after screen has turned off but before hibernation)

I have been having this problem for awhile, and it is quite disruptive.  So, for example, if I have in power options that the screen dims after 10 mins, shuts down after 30 mins, and then hibernates after 2 hours, then if I take a phone call and don't use my computer for 45 minutes, it will still be running when I come back, but touching a key, or even ctrl-alt-delete, does seem to get it to do something, but the screen will not come back on.

Any suggestions?  My hardware is XPS L702x.

jl

500 Posts

April 10th, 2012 16:00

There are some things that can cause this issues, and i definitely want to help you correct it.

I would recommend updating your bios, drivers, and double checking your power plan.

In the interim, I would recommend hitting FN+F4 or FN+F5 as this adjusts screen brightness and causes the screen to turn on, if off.

Let me know if this helps :)

500 Posts

April 10th, 2012 20:00

Definitely, click here and select your model :)

46 Posts

April 10th, 2012 20:00

Thanks, I'll keep the FN+F4 and FN+F5 tip in mind.

Where do I go to update bios and drivers?

46 Posts

April 11th, 2012 21:00

Thanks, I did manage to find this the other night, but thanks for being helpful.

I downloaded the two that seemed like they were suggested, and the rest I left alone as probably already up to date.

I have reset my power options so I should be able to test the FN+F4/FN+F5 options and other things tonight.

jl

500 Posts

April 11th, 2012 22:00

test it out and let me know. I want to make sure it is working for you

46 Posts

April 12th, 2012 20:00

Hi -

Note that these solutions have not worked.  I definitely could not turn the screen on again after it went dark following an absence from my computer.  Had to hit the power button to send it into hibernation and then turn it back on.

500 Posts

April 13th, 2012 03:00

The only other trick that I use is a screen saver. if you choose a screen saver over it going dim then it can fix the issue, however, if drivers dont fix it, I would potentially call in to discuss other options as there may be something else causing the issue.

No Events found!