Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2016 10:00

Unable to install latest Realtek Audio driver Ver 6.0.1.7737, A04 on Dell XPS 15 9550

Issue can't install recommended  latest driver for Audio Realtek  Ver 6.0.1.7737, A04

When pointing to driver location   getting generic message   >>  " Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date "

" Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date "

The only option left is to close the window and driver stays still at  showing at:

######################

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 10/29/2015

Driver Version: 10.0.10586.0

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

#############################

Please help on this greatly appreciated 

possibly due driver digital signature maybe if so what would be ways to do a work around.

Thank you

380 Posts

March 13th, 2016 06:00

Look in Device Manager under the Sound, Video, Game Controllers section for the Realtek High Definition Audio device and see what it says there as far as the driver info. This is where the real driver info is located. Do not look under the Audio Inputs and Outputs section.

JohnD

10 Posts

March 13th, 2016 12:00

Correction 

I was looking in the wrong location to begin with

> "Audio inputs and outputs" where driver shows unchanged and ver  10.0.10586.0 (where I looked originally to change the ver number)

after your guidance it forced me to look further into section below

> "Sound, video and game controllers" where driver shows changed to the one I have installed ver 6.0.1.7737 

Why these two very similar section are there,  must be by design and different functions in Dev Manager topic for another discussion tread.

With that in mind THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your contribution that led me to my answers!!!

Regards

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 12th, 2016 12:00

Laptops rarely need "the latest manufacturer drivers" since the hardware is integrated on the dell board and is customized for the board. The new realtek drivers have not been customized by Dell for your specific model and should not be installed on your laptop. Dell will update your drivers if necessary. Check Drivers and Downloads at Dell Support for updated drivers for your exact model. 

Notice that the version numbers are wildly different. Driver version 10.0.10586 is specifically for windows 10 and is the same as the windows 10  operating system version number. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 12th, 2016 18:00

Hello. If you updated to Windows 10 then your previous Realtek audio driver has been removed and replaced with .the Windows native audio driver. That driver is updated automatically by Microsoft, so if you try to do an "update driver" of it you will get that error message.

If you do currently have the native driver and want to install the Realtek driver, you have to manually download the driver and follow the "installation instructions" on the Realtek 6.0.1.7737 page.

10 Posts

March 13th, 2016 05:00

ejyankees

Hello. If you updated to Windows 10 then your previous Realtek audio driver has been removed and replaced with .the Windows native audio driver. That driver is updated automatically by Microsoft, so if you try to do an "update driver" of it you will get that error message.

If you do currently have the native driver and want to install the Realtek driver, you have to manually download the driver and follow the "installation instructions" on the Realtek 6.0.1.7737 page.

Nope, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Inspiron 7559 and windows update install all dell drivers, including Realtek one's.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 13th, 2016 06:00

windows update install all dell drivers,

But still, when you installed 10 you had audio through the native audio driver. You can't Windows update from that one to the Dell-provided  Realtek audio driver. You have to manually download it from Dell.

10 Posts

March 13th, 2016 07:00

jmferngui
windows update install all dell drivers,

But still, when you installed 10 you had audio through the native audio driver. You can't Windows update from that one to the Dell-provided  Realtek audio driver. You have to manually download it from Dell.

It updated without doing nothing special. All drivers that are on Dell's support site (intel graphic driver, dell's personalized realtek driver, chipset driver, etc.) were installed by windows update (I saw in device manager how the yellow exclamations were dissappearing while windows 10 were installing the drivers).

It happened at least on my 7559.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 13th, 2016 07:00

It updated without doing nothing special.

Then I guess I didn't understand your question. I thought you said you could not get it to update.

1 Message

March 13th, 2016 09:00

spammer/banned

10 Posts

March 13th, 2016 09:00

jmferngui
It updated without doing nothing special.

Then I guess I didn't understand your question. I thought you said you could not get it to update.

I did not asked anything, I only answered:

Nope, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Inspiron 7559 and windows update install all dell drivers, including Realtek one's.

I mean that windows 10 installed by default the generic ones, but affer few minutes it updated by itself to the latest Dell personalized Realtek drivers.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 13th, 2016 10:00

I did not asked anything, I only answered:

When I first posted in this thread I was talking to the original poster who was asking about updating the driver. Then you started replying to my posts and I thought it was the original poster replying -- sorry about that but it is kind of hard to remember screen names from one thread to the next.

windows 10 installed by default the generic ones, but affer few minutes it updated by itself to the latest Dell personalized Realtek drivers.

Glad to hear that you don't have a problem with the update.

10 Posts

March 13th, 2016 11:00

Hello Jimco

To clarify Win 10 are fresh installed.

Tried by using exe app that gets downloaded from Dell support webpage 

I was able to go true with set up and got it rebooted and got message that install was successfully

one thing I noticed that driver version shows the same as before the install. Then when I tried manually point to the driver folder that was extracted instead of using exe then I got  the message "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

So assuming with win 10 we can't visually verify the actual driver version running/using.

correct me if I'm wrong (unless there's is one)

Thank you for contribution to my question

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date

No Events found!