Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2013 02:00

Upgrade Inspiron 15R SE (7520) with SSD

I would like to buy the Inspiron 15R SE notebook and replace its HDD with an SSD. I have some questions:
  • Does it void the warranty if I replace the HDD with an SSD?
  • How can I know whether a certain SSD is compatible with the notebook? Or any 2.5 sized, SATA2 or SATA3 SSD is compatible?
  • The Inspiron 15R has a SATA2 port, for which the maximum transfer speed is 300 MB/s, right? So there is no point in buying an SSD which has faster transfer rate, am I correct?

Thanks for any help.

1 Message

November 6th, 2014 05:00

I can confirm, that contrary to the verified answer the main hdd bay offers sata 3 speed and the optical bay (at least through the caddies I own) performs at sata 2 speed limit.

Probably the verified answer is true to mSata enabled systems, but it is pessimistically untrue for my systems.

I own two of these 7520 computers and 840 EVO 250gb SSD-s. First I istalled them in the optical bay through caddies and saw using hwinfo and Intel rapid storage app provided by Dell, that they perform in sata 2 mode in the optibay. Fortunately I bought a sata 3 hdd into the primary hdd bay and saw it is connected in sata 3 mode. The SSD when installed in the opti bay performed at 250MB/s, however when I changed the bay it showed an immediate improvement to 525MB/s.

Laptop was able to boot from both bays, in UEFI mode, though when I changed the bay the win 8.1 stuck completely, so you will have to use the boot menu once to initialize the new boot sequence.

Of course I installed the hdd in the main bay first because of the venting holes but it turns out that the temperature is lower in the optibay. (the ssd showed higher ~34 C, and the hdd lower ~ 27 C temperatures, although I didn't test under stress)

Bottom line: You should install the HDD into an opti-bay-caddy and an SSD into the main HDD bay, and it will perform in SATA-3 mode, and yield max capacity of SSD.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the Community,

1.Replacing HDD with SSD does not void the system warranty,however the new hardware(SSD drive) will not be covered under the system warranty.

2.The Inspiron 7520/15R (SE) systems are offered with 2.5" SATA 2 Hard Disk Drives.Any 2.5" SATA2 or SATA 3 SSD would be compatible.

3.Yes,you are correct and even if you buy a SSD which has the faster transfer rate it will function with reduced or limited speed which SATA 2 port offers.

And also these systems are offered with SATA 2 and 3 mSATA Solid State Drives. These systems support the combination of mSATA Solid State Drives with a SATA Hard Drive which enables the use of several technologies found in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology:

Intel® Smart Response Technology: This technology utilizes the speed advantage of SSD in caching where the frequently used information is stored on the SSD instead of the Hard drive.

Intel® Rapid Start Technology: This technology enables the system to boot back with-in seconds after getting into hibernation.

Note:If you wish to have mSATA preinstalled on the system, you will need to contact your regional sales representative  and configure the system accordingly at the time of purchase.

Thank You  

Thanks for the thorough answer!

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 24th, 2013 03:00

You're Welcome.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 1st, 2013 03:00

Hi salehitch,

Welcome to the Community,

The Inspiron 7520/15R (SE) systems are offered with following SATA 2 HDD :

SATA- 2
Capacity Speed Dimensions
320 GB 5400 and 7200 rpm 2.5"
500 GB 5400 and 7200 rpm 2.5"
750 GB 5400 and 7200 rpm 2.5"
1 TB 5400 rpm 2.5"

If you're planning to get SATA 3 SSD,the capacity should not be problem and it should support upto 1 TB.However since it has SATA 2 HDD port,even if you get SATA 3 SSD, its transfer speed will be limited to SATA 2 port.

Thank You

2 Posts

June 1st, 2013 03:00

Dear Roshan,

what is the max size supported for SATA3 SSD in Dell SE 7520 ?

No Events found!