Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2011 04:00

Upgrading R15 video card.

Hi

This is my first post. I just have some questions about my laptop's video card.

I bought my Dell Inspiron R15 in February 2011. It came with Intel HD graphics. Before buying the product via the customer chat service, I specificially asked the sales representative whether I can upgrade my video card later whenever I want to. And he told me that, yes I will be able to upgrade my video card. I asked this question 2 or 3 times just to reassure myself. 

But now when I am thinking about upgrading to a Nividia or ATI graphics card, I am being told by Dell, that its not possible to do so. I have not actually gotten the chance to explain and discuss this in detail with DELL, as I am out of Canada and gmail phone chat, well u know, its breaky. So I intent to do that in September when I go back.

But just to console my self, I want to know whether DELL really does make custom made laptops upon customers wish, like I did, so I can upgrade my video card? On the last resort, if the sales representative guy gave me the wrong information, then can I return this laptop in return for a new one that has a nividia graphics card? Will I be compensated for this since they gave me wrong info in the first place.

Also, is there any way I can have access to all my past chat logs since I think I deleted all of them way back. I want to have them in case I have to provide some evidence.

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 04:00

The only way to do this is to have the mainboard replaced, which is an expensive proposition - figure on well over $400.

There is no Dell support for doing this - the only option you had was to return the system for replacement under the 21-day satisfaction guarantee.  That's long over now - so you've really two options:  replace the board yourself (which WILL void your warranty) or sell the system and buy a new one.

The second option is the better one.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 12:00

It is not possible to upgrade what you have short of replacing the system board.  

The only thing Dell will do is take your system back for recycling - they do not buy back used notebooks.

The mainboard can be replaced - yes.  Is it worth it?  Considering you'll spend $400 or more on a board with labor, and get a 90-day used-parts warranty, the answer to me is, no.  Your decision is what counts -- it's up to you.

July 22nd, 2011 12:00

But why was I told I can upgrade my video card later on? So its really not possible? There was a miscommunication, is that what you are trying to say right?

And if i want to sell my laptop, can i sell it back to DELL?

Also, is replacing the mainboard safe? like do people commonly do it to get a graphics card?

No Events found!