Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2017 06:00

Urgent help! XPS M1530 fan making noise I do not know why any solution?

Since last week fan is noisy and it seems it keep moving and rarely slow down.

I keep laptop free from dust. Fan and ventilators are clean. Laptop is on the cooling stand. No doubt BIOS is older as it is Windows Vista 32 bit about to be replaced with new computer.

As it is very cold here in Japan but computer get hot could be due to processor?

I ran Dell Diagnostic but could not find anything regarding fan.

I wonder if there is any way to check if fan is working properly or not or any solution?

. I have also started using Speedfan. Refer screen shot.

M 1530 is Dual core. CPU T7250 2.00 GHz NVidia GeForece 8600 GT

Any quick help in this regard will be much appreciated.

Thank you

18 Posts

February 13th, 2017 20:00

Without using Thermal paste I have solved the problem as follows:

(Follow steps as per your operating system)

Type "Power options" in search or use Control Panel

Go to Power options

Select Power Plan (Balance)

Next to Balance select Change plan settings

Click Change advanced power settings a Power Options window will be opened. Under Balance (Active) scroll down and expand (plus sign) Processor power management then change the settings of Maximum processor state and change the On battery % and Plugged in % TO 99% each chlick on APPLY/OK you are done.

May be some of you do not want to reduce processor power but in my case since last change fan is very calm, no computer heating plus no more such louder fan noise. I use computer for video editing, animation and drawings.

Hope above answer might be helpful to others.

I

• 

16.7K Posts

January 31st, 2017 04:00

nihon94, 

Did you run a complete diagnostics on the system? If not, you may want to do that to see if anything is wrong with the processor. 

18 Posts

January 31st, 2017 04:00

Hi Jesse L,

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, I did run diagnostics and got no problem.

Could it be BIOS as that can not be updated?

18 Posts

January 31st, 2017 05:00

ejn63 thank you for the reply.

Do you think what you are talking about is possible in Laptop computer?

-------------------

If you've never replaced the thermal pads that sit between the CPU and GPU heatslugs and the heatsink, that'd be the first place to start - at approaching a decade old, the pads are likely dried out and not adequately transferring heat from the processor to the heatsink.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 31st, 2017 05:00

If you've never replaced the thermal pads that sit between the CPU and GPU heatslugs and the heatsink, that'd be the first place to start - at approaching a decade old, the pads are likely dried out and not adequately transferring heat from the processor to the heatsink.

5.2K Posts

January 31st, 2017 07:00

The M1530 8600 GT video chip had a serious heat related manufacturing defect. Many, many failed after 2-4 years. It's possible you are beginning to see a problem, as the GPU temp is somewhat high compared to that of the CPU. Replacing the heat transfer pads for BOTH the CPU and GPU may solve the problem, but this is not something to try if you are not versed in digging into laptop hardware. Did you open the bottom access panel below the fan and clean everything, or just blow pressurized gas through the vents? The fan control program is in the BIOS. It's possible something happened to the BIOS program stored in CMOS memory, so you should reset it. This can be done in the BIOS itself. There is a single BIOS update available, but it is very old. The only real change was to set the fan control program to allow the fan to run continuously on low speed unless a faster speed was necessary. This minimized temperature swings, which caused the GPU chip to fail.

18 Posts

January 31st, 2017 19:00

Thank you very much for such details I appreciate it very much.

No doubt since I bought M1530 showed heat but not fan noise like now.

I did open the bottom and used small blower (for DSLR camera use).

I do still got all Dell setting tools even BIOS setup exe.

Do you think resetting BIOS will be useful if so, how could I do such steps will be very helpful.

Or is it possible to send old PC for service to Dell?

Your reply will be very helpful.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 1st, 2017 04:00

It's more likely the thermal pads need replacement -- yes, that is necessary on a notebook after a period of time, where the pads harden and fail to do their job.

Yes, Dell will likely service the system - for a flat fee of about $200 total.  This may not be a wise use of $200, though -- a local computer shop can probably replace the pads for half that.  Even $100 may be too much to put into a system that's only worth about that amount.

The problem with the nVidia GPUs is not that they generate too much heat - it's that they're not resistant  enough to electromigration at the silicon level that arises from thermal cycling -- in other words, they fail from repeated heating-cooling in normal operation -- not from generating too much heat.

18 Posts

February 1st, 2017 05:00

ejn63, thank you very much for the detailed reply. It is very timely.

Actually I was in contact with Dell Japan for new computer order and I thought Nvidia Geeforce will be good but after reading your reply it is not. Do you recommend alternate to Nvidia?

Also regarding thermal pads need replacement I have also asked a question regarding "For Heat-sink What kind of thermal paste and pads are needed for XPS M1530" if you know please share and oblige.

No Events found!