Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2013 17:00

Vostro 1000 indicates charging but it actually isn't

My Vostro 1000 has recently been failing to charge the battery. There's no adapter warning, no battery warning, nothing. It'll indicate that it's charging normally, so I will leave it overnight to charge only to find it deader than a doornail the following day. I typically shut it down when I'm not using it, so it's charging with the power off anyway.

The battery is a nine cell Rayovac COM 10025 and the chargers are both Dell PA-90s. I know one of the chargers has a break in the communication line, but I can still get it to charge the battery if I hold the wire just right as I put the plug into the computer. The other charger, which is my main one, seems to work OK.

When this happens, the laptop will not charge the battery at all until I pop the battery out and back in. The battery is only three months old, so I shouldn't be having trouble with it. The last battery, which had to be replaced under warranty, was the same model and had lost 2/3 of its capacity in less than a year.

Is there anything that could go wrong with the laptop itself that would cause this? I assume such a fault would be on the motherboard, which (for me) is an easy replacement.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 6th, 2013 21:00

Hi shadow460,

Please release static power and update the BIOS. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power.Use the link below to update the BIOS.

http://dell.to/WS7OzI

Let us know about the progress.

51 Posts

February 6th, 2013 22:00

The BIOS is version 2.6.3, dated Dec 7th 2007. It's the latest official BIOS I could find when I got the computer. I just followed the other steps you listed to drain static power, so we'll see how it goes for a few days.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi shadow460,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post.

No Events found!