Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2012 20:00

Vostro 1510 won't POST

Power light comes on.  Hard drive light comes on for 1 sec, bluetooth light comes on.  After 4-5 seconds, the 9 A ^ lights (next to bluetooth) do this:

[flash] [solid] [solid]

According to the service manual, this indicates a CPU problem.  I tried re-seating the CPU.  No improvement.  I tested the CPU in another system and it works fine, so the CPU is not bad.

For what it's worth:

- if I remove all the RAM but leave CPU in, the lights change to [solid] [flash] [flash] which correctly indicates no memory detected.

- if I remove the CPU and also leave no RAM out, I get the original [flash] [solid] [solid] again.

I did remove most of the components that were easy (hard drive, wireless card).  No change

I assume it's just a bad motherboard, but I wanted to confirm in case someone has any other ideas before I part it out (probably not worth buying a replacement motherboard for it).  Wonder if the BIOS is toast or something?  Wish there were some way to try to recover it on this board...

26 Posts

Also, if you have more than one memory stick, try using only one at a time and see if the computer boots with only one ram stick in it. If it does, then either one of your ram sticks is bad or one of the dimm slots is not functioning properly.

36 Posts

Thank you.  There are two SO-DIMMs in it, and I have tried one at a time in each slot.  No change.  I could test the RAM in another laptop, but I highly doubt both sticks would go bad at the same time - unless the motherboard got zapped, then it seems highly unlikely that the RAM would be bad but the motherboard good (the CPU is good for sure).

I should add: no display at all.  No beeps.

26 Posts

Try testing the memory for any errors. If you have a spare computer, download memtest, load it onto a usb or dvd, boot from it, and let it run overnight

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 24th, 2012 21:00

Hi andrewpdx,

As per your post, I understand that three LED indicators on the keyboard go flash, solid, and solid which indicate system board error or processor. Since you have tried the processor in the different system and the processor works so this a system board issue. You will need to replace the motherboard.

36 Posts

October 24th, 2012 21:00

Update: I was able to get the laptop to POST!  How? By powering it ON and OFF about twenty times.  The first nineteen, I had to pull the power plug (battery was removed) because holding the power button down 4+ seconds had no effect.

After the first POST and then powering OFF, it had the same problem again: flashing lights, then after four or five more ON and OFF cycles, it POSTED again; replaced the hard drive and now it boots Windows again.  I've done updates (laptop was sitting off for six weeks since it first starting having this problem) and have now been able to power off and on correctly a few times while it is warm.

I had a similar problem a few years ago with another Dell laptop: it would power ON, lights would stay on for about for seconds, then it would shut off.  After two or three days of doing the same as above (ON and OFF, over and over, probably 50+ times), that laptop finally stayed on and worked for five more years without issue.

In that case, I wondered if the issue wasn't caused by using the laptop for a few days in a very humid area.  This second laptop was used in the same exact location, when it was very humid (in September).  Hmm...

Tomorrow after the laptop has cooled again overnight I guess I'll find out if it is really fixed or whether it's going to be flaky like this for good! (Cold solder joint or something to that effect.)

36 Posts

October 25th, 2012 15:00

Update: once the laptop cools down (a few hours), it still has the same problem.  If I leave it on like that for a little while to warm up, then yank the power cord a few times (without the battery plugged in) and try that a few times, eventually it will POST.  Unfortunately, this also seems to reset the real time clock to 2007, so each time Windows boots the clock must reset (impossible to browser with a modern browser when year set to 2007 - all certificates for websites are invalid).

I assume this problem isn't going away and I'll just have to trash it - not worth buying a replacement motherboard.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

26 Posts

October 25th, 2012 17:00

Hey, sorry the problem still persists.

I had the same problem and changing my RAM fixed it. I find Ram problems to be the most frustrating because bad ram can make it seem as though the hard drive or the motherboard is bad.

24 Posts

January 11th, 2013 17:00

i would suggest a cold solder joint.... but where to find it!! it is a quite common fault on this modell ( i guess you have the INTEL GMA version right!?)

Finding the soulder joint will fix the problem i think... but which component is it!?

Please some one help me with exact the same failure as posted above... CAPS lock lid.. SCROLL lock lid... NUM LOCK flashing fast.

36 Posts

January 11th, 2013 17:00

I gave up trying to fix mine.  I haven't gotten around to parting it out yet (screen is good, CPU is good, etc.) but I'm done with it.  A cold solder joint is a good possibility - but as you say, on a motherboard like this, good luck finding it.  Plus, the solder points on these modern motherboards aren't really designed for hand-soldering repairs.

24 Posts

January 12th, 2013 11:00

PLEASE IF SOME ONE READS THIS THREAD.........PLEASE LET US KNOW THE REASON FOR THIS FAULT... it is a quite comon failure.. and i assume in nearly 100% everytime the same defective Part / solder joint. SO PLEASE SOME ONE LET US KNOW HIS SECRET TO FIX IT !!  

i know a secret i will share with you for exchange... if you have had a dell who shorts the supply if pluged in (supply light went off if plugged in) and your supply is ok, and your powerplug is ok.. then it is likely to 100% a bad capacitor 10uF 25V smd type who made a short on the board.

you can easily find the capacitor if you disassemble the board and power it up with a fixed-rate powersupply with 6V 1A and look for the are which begin to get hot... in this area check if a smd capacitor gets hot. if  you cant find it directly, just desolder capacitor by capacitor in this are and check the short by plug in the original supply and watch if light stays on.

I repaired 3 Dells with this Trick!! 2 Dell xps M1330 and 1 Dell inspiron 1520. but this will work nearly for every dell having a similar behaviour!!!...

SO PLEASE LET US KNOW THE TRICK TO THE FLASHING NUM LOCK ON VOSTRO 1510 (intel GMA graphics / HANNSTAR JAL30 Mainboard).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

24 Posts

January 28th, 2013 06:00

did you have the vostro still with you ? i could need it for parts!

dc2ni

No Events found!