Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 15:00

Vostro 1700 BIOS?? problem

I have a problem that I have never seen before. When I boot this Laptop it says "NO bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot.

I went into the bios (A01) and went to the boot sequence and it shows the this

1. Diskette Drive

Internal HDD

2. USB Storage Device

3. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive

Onboard NIC

Second Internal HDD

Notice there are no numbers beside Internal HDD & the last 2 items (they appear exactly as I have written them.

I can boot the system by hitting F12 and selecting Internal HDD - it will then boot - in the bios setup Internal HDD will move up and down but never show a number by it. So I updated the BIOS to A07 - same thing exactly

IS this a motherboard issue or a Corrupted BIOS issue? I have never actually heard of a corrupted BIOS before!

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2011 15:00

Sounds much more likely the hard drive is on its way out.

7 Posts

February 10th, 2011 17:00

I thought so at first also but it tests fine and it is less than  3 months old... and it boots fine after F12 and select Internal HDD, That and the fact that boot sequence is obviously fouled up.

I thought originally it was the hard drive also...

7 Posts

February 11th, 2011 11:00

I tested the machine with a new hard drive from another Dell laptop - I also tested the hard drive in the other (NEW) laptop and the hard drive works in the other laptop and the new hard drive in the old laptop does the same thing - No bootable devices - Strike F1 to retry...

It is definitely Either a motherboard issue or a BIOS Issue... It is a 2.5 - 3 year old laptop so... What to do, what to do!!!!????

No Events found!