Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2012 13:00

Vostro 1700 Black Screen

My Vostro screen has been flickering for a few days and has gone blank a few times but re-booting seemed to correct it.

I used my laptop yesterday morning for an hour, came home from work to find a black screen and nothing I tried seemed to sort the problem.

I have plugged in an external vga monitor (which I'm using now) and am able to see everything so I'm guessing the graphics card is working fine. I remembered an old trick of holding a torch close to the screen on the laptop and can see the desktop.

My question is if I replace the inverter does this bring back the screen or do I need to change the lamp?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 28th, 2012 13:00

EricMckie

If you shine a light on the screen and see the image then replacing the inverter or the backlight may help.  

If you see no image at all on the screen you may need to replace the entire LCD panel.

I hope that this answers your question.

TB

-edit-

Typically between the Inverter and the Backlight it is hard to figure out which one fails.  I have read that using a voltameter you can determine if the Inverter is still working or not. This isn't someting that I have tried.  Typically though the Inverter is less expensive than the backlight so try the inverter first.

10 Posts

September 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi

I ran the diagnostic as suggested in the post now gone???

It didn't show much (with the use of a torch/flashlight) apart from being able to show the coloured bars and showed an error code of 2000 - 0333 (keyboard response timeout).

However when I closed the lid to get my service tag on the bottom of my laptop and re-opened it, the screen came back for a few minutes. I am now more certain it is the inverter that is failing because a lamp would either work or not.

As you suggested TB, changing the inverter would be the cheaper option.

Many thanks

Eric

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 1st, 2012 10:00

If you noticed the LCD coming up again no matter how briefly it is a good bet that the problem is the Inverter.  Please let me know how it turns out.

TB

No Events found!