Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2015 07:00

Vostro 3550 laptop - won't boot up or do anything

Hi there

I've got an issue with a Vostro 3550 laptop.

When I turn the laptop on, it just doesn't boot up at all. I can get to the bios screen or boot options, but then after that a black screen comes up with the white cursor line in the top left. This is not flashing, but constantly on. I've tried to boot from the network card, hard drvie, cd, but get the same no matter what. I can get into the bios settings and tried to restore and reset everything, but that doesn't work either.

Anyone got any ideas what the issue is or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Nick

2 Posts

Hi there. No I couldn't do that either. It did the same thing.

I have managed to sort it now though. Light bulb came on just as I created my post. I took the battery out and tried it without that. And it came up fine. I'm currently rebuilding the machine now without the battery. Once its finished, I'll see what happens with the battery plugged in later.

N

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Can you get into the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup)?  If so, run an extended test on the hard drive.  It sounds like your drive may have failed.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2016 22:00

Hi. Nickinglis. I am having the same problem . can you give is an update on what happened. If it was the bad battery that caused this problem

No Events found!