Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2013 10:00

Webcam not working in my dell n5110

This is about my webcam on dell n5110. This problem has a little bit of a history. The story so far is like this:

The webcam was working perfectly for about a year. I was not using it for about a month and then when I try to use it Dell Webcam central application was showing webcam not detected error. I tried other softwares like skype and other online webcam chat tools, but the result was same. Then I posted a similar post on this forum seeking for an answer. People were really helpful and they gave me different type of tips and methods to try out.

I tried each and every. There wasn't any devices under imaging devices in device manager. There weren't any unknown devices listed either. 

I used dell troubleshooting tools both online and offline, they all said there isn't such device on your laptop. They didn't had a clue about a webcam.

I re installed Dell webcam central software. But nothing changed. Also I removed all usb devices from device manager and let them to be re-installed. Yet there were nothing.

I was advised to flash the bios. I tried it but the application exited showing 'can not flash bios to the same version'. I tried loading default settings in bios.

Then I removed the front panel of the laptop and unplugged and plugged the webcam connector cable from the top as they said it can be a loose connection. Yet it didn't made a difference. 

Days passed like this and few days later when I turned on my lap a new driver installation notification appeared and USB device was installed. And yes, it was the webcam driver. Webcam was working fine. I ran the test on dell application few times and webcam passed them all the time. It was just like new. But it wasn't consistent. Webcam suddenly disappear as in the first case leaving no clue what happened and then came back the same way as before. I have no idea what caused the web cam to do that. This happened few times. 

Now that is the history of the problem.

• It was working like that for about three months. And now the webcam didn't comeback for about a month. I'm thinking about replacing the webcam. The question is will it solve my problem?
  • Are this symptoms of a hardware failure? I only checked the connection of the cable to the webcam module. Can there be a loose connection in the other end of the cable? 

Also I believe the microphone array is also located in the webcam module. It was working fine even when the webcam was gone. And it is still working fine.

• Are webcam and microphone two separate units or do they come together?
  • Does the microphone array connection goes through the same cable as of webcam? If it is, can the possibility of the webcam failure due to loose connection be nullified?

Lot of questions. I'll be waiting for your good opinions. 

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 20th, 2013 05:00

Hi pavan_m4 ,

I appreciate your patience and all the trouble shooting steps tried to resolve the issue. I suspect it is the hardware issue. Since the camera worked after new driver update, you may try restoring the system to the factory installed state. Back up the data before restoring the computer. Please click on the link for Windows 7 PC restore:

http://dell.to/15DfFoj

In case the issue persists even after PC restore, you may consider replacing the Webcam. Camera and Mic cable are integrated and it is a single cable.

14 Posts

October 20th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the fast reply.

Now I don't think PC restore will make any difference as I had formatted the system and re-installed windows yet it didn't solve the webcam issue. So I'm thinking of going with replacing the webcam.

My country is Sri Lanka. Where can I buy genuine dell webcam replacement from here? Better if there is an online store for me to buy it.

Thanks in advance,

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 21st, 2013 07:00

Hi pavan_m4,

Please contact Dell authorized dealers in your region for assistance. Click on the link below for contact information.

http://dell.to/1i8wCxQ

Revert for further queries.

14 Posts

October 21st, 2013 12:00

Thanks Sujatha K,

I already contacted them and hope for a positive reply.

You were a great assistance, and thank you again for that.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi pavan_m4,

Let me know if you need any assistance in future.

14 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 06:00

Sure, thanks

14 Posts

December 18th, 2013 12:00

Hi, it's me again after some time.

Here's the update. I have bought a webcam module and replaced the old one. But even the new cam is NOT WORKING!

The symptoms are same as before. The mic is working well in the new module and the mic was working in the early camera module as well even when the camera was not working.

Now where should I look? What will be the reason behind this? Looks like the camera module is fine. And only the camera is not functioning, mic is working well.

Thanks and will wait for your kind opinion.

14 Posts

December 24th, 2013 01:00

Hello, someone please help me. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 24th, 2013 02:00

pavan_m4,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

14 Posts

December 24th, 2013 03:00

I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64bit version. I experience this problem for a long time now and this first happened  me without doing any changes in windows or webcam central software. But after that I have reinstalled windows several times. Nothing solved the problem.

Think you read the long description I wrote above on the problem. As a conclusion windows or dell service software or dell online troubleshooting applications does not detect any webcam in the system. Device manager does not show imaging devices category or any unknown devices. However the internal mic is working fine. (I got to know that mic is also placed at the camera module). So finally I changed the camera module. But it didn't solved the problem either. The integrated mic is working fine but not the webcam. 

Could it be a problem with the cable? I tried reconnecting the cable to the camera module several times expecting a difference. But there weren't anything. The mic is working fine which is also connected through the same cable. Or can there be a loose connection in the motherboard side? What should I do?

this is really frustrating, Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 24th, 2013 05:00

pavan_m4,

When you changed the webcam, was it done in the screen, near the top? In some cases, unplugging the webcam, then plugging the webcam back in, the webcam turns on and works.

Rick

14 Posts

December 24th, 2013 06:00

Yes it was, 

Even before I purchased this replacement part, a helpful person here like you told me to disconnect and reconnect the cable from the port of camera module (which is near the top of the screen). And so I did that several times but nothing happened.

I want to know that could this be due to a problem in the cable as replacing the camera didn't work out. However the microphone which is connected through the same cable works fine.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 24th, 2013 07:00

pavan_m4,

I thought the internal microphone was in a different area. I thought the webcam was just the camera.

If you're under warranty, Contact Dell Technical Support

You can try shutting down the computer, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. This releases the fleas power and when you turn it back on, tell the system to look for changes to the system.

I have lost the webcam a few times, and usually it's loose at the top, near the camera. If this was just recent, try using system restore and go back to when it worked. There have been a few recent Windows Updates that have caused other issues.

Rick

No Events found!