Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2011 14:00

What is the "READER" Partition?

I have a Dell Latitude E6510 with a hard drive partition labeled "READER" assigned the letter D.

Can anyone tell me what this partition is for, and if it can be deleted?  It does not seem to do anything and I have not been able to determine which program uses it or why.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2011 17:00

Are you sure it's the hard drive, and not a flash card reader?

6 Posts

April 6th, 2011 08:00

It is a partition on the hard drive.  Please see screenshot:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/4/9510285488.png

I can delete it, but I would like to know what it is before I do.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 6th, 2011 09:00

It is used in conjunction with the Latitude ON module.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2011 13:00

Thank you for your response.  Could you please tell me what a "Latitude ON module"  is ?  and why does it need a dedicated drive partition?

If I have to keep it, could I re-assign the letter to something low on the list like "X"?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 6th, 2011 13:00

It is an instant-on option that allows you to do some work without waiting for Windows to load.  It needs writeable space to function (it operates from flash ROM in the computer).  If you don't have an ON module, you can do what you wish.  If you do, leave the partition intact.

6 Posts

April 8th, 2011 08:00

Thank you for your response,  I was hoping to remove some of the clutter from the computer.

I have not been able to find any program or file called "ON Module".  The computer has Windows XP SP3, and as far as I can tell, it is a typical Windows XP setup - it does nothing until Windows finishes loading - then you can start the other programs.

How can I tell if this module is loaded?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 8th, 2011 09:00

It's not software - the ON module is a piece of hardware:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/19/dell-adds-cheaper-latitude-on-flash-module-to-some-laptops/

No Events found!