Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

March 22nd, 2007 13:00

Where can I get an full Alps application/driver for my Inspiron 8200?

I recently had a problem with losing my Partition Table which I eventually corrected and restored Windows XP Home on an Inspiron 8200 using an unbelievably useful program called FindPart. The only residual effects are that (less importantly Wincfg found two supposed installations of Windows and now makes me choose between the default one which gives me a blank XP screen, - called TEST, - and XP Home which I am forced to choose manually every time I go into Windows and) suddenly my touchpad has become super-sensitive and the cursor jumps all over the page as things accidentally touch the pad in the slightest way while you are trying to type a document. I tried re-installing the driver and when that made no difference, updating it. (there is an updated driver specifically for this computer on the Dell site though it does look suspiciously old). That didn't work either. Eventually I found a recommendation to slow down the speed on it in the ordinary Mouse Settings in Control Panel specifically to reduce this sensitivity. This didn't work either, though it DID slow down the response generally. I did see (not have) this problem once before, long ago on an Inspiron 3000. There was an update to IT'S Touchpad to give full control over sensitivity and I seem to remember it also let you do things like designate the right hand side of the pad to control scrolling etc. There is one further minor effect which is that moving the cursor over the screen SOMETIMES highlights text which hasnt been in any way 'selected'. I presume this will also go away when I install a proper Alps application instead of just an updated Dell driver. DriverGuide.com doesnt SEEM to have such a full application/driver and just recommends the Dell updated one. Alps won't respond to phone calls on this problem which is driving me mad as I cannot understand what it can possibly have to do with restoring my Partition Table or MBR. Does anyone know where it is please?

1.4K Posts

March 29th, 2007 13:00

First, let me congratulate you on what must be the longest single paragraph I've read in a long time.

The application you seek is most likely on the Resource CD.  I found one, and only one, on eBay.  See http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-Inspiron-8200-Resource-CD_W0QQitemZ270102821161QQcategoryZ51334QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This listing expires today.

You can edit out the extraneous OS reference in boot.ini  but please make sure you edit the right one out.

Finally, you are probably in for more trouble in the future, since it sounds like your original problems started with bad sectors on your hard drive.  You should do a complete scandisk looking for system file errors.

Good luck!

1.4K Posts

March 30th, 2007 02:00

Here's what my boot.ini has:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I've deleted the utility partition, so your reference to partition (3) may be correct.  Save a backup of the original prior to making a change.

Good luck!

March 30th, 2007 02:00

Many thanks for the response:  Curiously when I typed it, the paragraph was not in one piece! But the highlight function isnt working and I may  have typed it in Word prior to putting it on line in one piece after a spelczech

I DO have the resource CD but thought that as there was a later alps driver onthe Dell site, it must be later than that on the CD so I didnt bother to look there: I will install it immediately

The problem with the HDD didnt arise out of any  problem with the drive (which is new) at all: Some idiot techie accidentally erased it while trying to install a patched version of Darwin on my computer using Disc Director (didnt work, presumably because he didn't know how to install HFS on a Windows machine however patched it is?). He then fled in terror, leaving me to clean up the mess.

The offending line in boot.ini on the C root reads:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="c:\windows" boot.ini

Do I just delete it?  And if so, why does it end in boot.ini?  (the proper one ends in /fastdetect)

March 30th, 2007 14:00

Firstly it is a good thing I went to that microsoft page.   I had edited the boot.ini file in notepad and all I had done was to delete the ini file and replace it with a boot.ini.txt file!  I  moping I will not discover that I have still followed a wrong procedure when I next reboot and have to go to the restore console and run wincfg again to get my system working!

Secondly there doesn't SEEM to be any such FULL alps application on the resource CD.  There IS a driver and even an installation file for a program called ApntEx.exe  but all it does is to give you an older version of the driver which is in any event on the Dell site as an updated DRIVER for the 8200.

The resource CD application only puts a directory called R37467 in C:\DELL\Drivers\ and the ApntEx.exe file in it.

Again, executing ApntEx.exe  only reinstalls the driver. It doesnt put the full application on the hdd so that you can control the sensitivity of the touchpad (or for that matter delineate the right hand side of the pad to scroll).
No Events found!