Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2014 12:00

Which drivers to install from Dell drivers list for Studio 1558

I just reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit after getting a new hard drive. I am confused as to which drivers I need to install now. I have a Studio 1558. I have input my service tag on Dell's "Drivers & Downloads" site. Under the list of drivers found, when it shows filtered drivers for my service tag, it only shows 3 files: Dell 32 bit (Graphical User Interface version) Diagnostics Utility; Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module Application; and Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard Driver. The 2nd and 3rd show an importance level of Recommended; the first shows Optional. When I toggle the filter to show all related drivers for my product, it lists 34 files. I know I need more than the earlier mentioned 3 but also don't imagine I need all 34. The vast majority show as importance level Recommended, a few Optional, and 1 as Urgent (Dell System Software Utility) though I have already installed this one. 

I have also looked at Dell's webpage that shows what order to reinstall drivers in. This list kind of matches with some of the 34 drivers on the drivers webpage. But even when I believe I need to install a driver from the "Chipset" driver category, how do I know which one to install? Or do I install all "Recommended" drivers in each category? 

Thanks for your help. I've tried to figure this out, but I feel like Dell has left a gap in their instruction. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 12:00

Order of driver install:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=266457

To find out which model wireless card you have, use the service tag and look up the original configuration at support.dell.com.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 13:00

You may or may not want the Intel drivers;  they're more trouble than they're worth sometimes.  They're not essential.

If your system has ATI/AMD video, it doesn't have Intel video - you do not need that set of drivers.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 13:00

Okay, thanks. I found the original configuration and figured out which wireless card and bluetooth stuff I have so I'm set with the Network category drivers. How about the CPU category drivers? It lists two: Intel Turbo Boost Technology MOnitor Software, v.1.0.186.6, A01 and Intel Turbo Boost Technology, v.1.0.0.1030, A00.  Do I install 1, both, neither? Moving down the "install in this order" list, I installed my audio drivers, then moved on to video drivers... the ATI Mobility Radeon HD driver installed fine. I then tried to install the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD driver. When I did, the computer told me it currently contains driver versions newer than the ones I'm about to install: it lists the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD, Intel Display Audio, and Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver. So it seems some drivers are already installed?  Should I just keep going down the list and if the computer tells me it's already got a newer version of a driver, just don't install that one from the list? It seems weird that something from the Dell website would be older than something already on my computer. I bought it in 2010. Unless Dell and Intel just aren't talking very well. Thanks for your continued help!

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 15:00

Okay, it looks like my system has Intel HD Graphics. When I open the device manager and toggle the Display adapter open, that's what it lists. I assume that means I should uninstall the ATI software then. Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

Have a look at:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/checking-hardware-ids-in-the-device-manager/

This will allow you to identify your hardware variants usually only Network and Video Controllers.

The Drivers and Downloads Page is extremely buggy when the Service tag is entered I have the same problem as you. I hence do not trust it and prefer the Dell FTP Website:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html

If you previously got drivers from Intel or ran the Intel Driver Update Utility then the drivers will be more up to date than the ones Dell provides. Dell only provide rebundled Intel drivers and usually on a very infrequent basis with respect to Intel directly.

No Events found!