Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2016 18:00

White noise (static) after turning on the laptop Inspiron 15, 7000series, 7559.

I've had my laptop for 2 weeks. For the first 2-3 days everything was ok but once when I turned on my laptop and went to Facebook, the laptop started producing a strange white noise (that I couldn't turn down or off). It stopped once I exited my browser. After that the incidents with suddenly appearing white noise became more often to the point that now every time that I turn on my laptop after a longer break like in the morning or after work, the white noise appears when I go online, even if the website I'm on does not have any active videos. Once while the white noise was on, I turned on the "Troubleshoot sound problems". The white noise stopped! As soon as I exited the "Troubleshoot sound problems" window, the white sound returned! Today I didn't do anything, just waited how long this white sound would go on for and it lasted around 10 min! What is going on? Updating audio card didn't help. "Troubleshoot sound problems" didn't detect anything. Today the white sound was on while I was on the website with a recipe with Gmail open as another tab but not as the one I was looking at at the moment. The noise appears even if I don't watch any videos or listen to anything.

Can anybody help me with this? It's a brand new laptop and it's scary that it's having such problems from the beginning.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 25th, 2016 19:00

Hello. I'm not familiar with an audio issue that creates noise only when on the internet, but since that is the case I would wonder if something is going on with the browser. I would test it by trying a different browser.

For the first 2-3 days everything was ok

When a problem develops like that it means that something has changed. If you have Win10 that operating system is notorious for making changes in the background, not always for the better. Or the hardware could have developed a fault. That does not seem likely to me because if it were hardware then you would probably hear the noise anytime you played an audio file, even when not connected to the internet. You can test the hardware by performing a system recovery (reset the laptop to the original factory configuration). If the noise is still there immediately after the recovery then it is being caused by a hardware failure that would be covered under the warranty.

If the noise is gone immediately after the recovery but eventually returns, then it is being caused by factors external to the computer.

I've had my laptop for 2 weeks.

You have the option of returning the laptop within the return period.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2016 17:00

Hello Jimco,

I've checked today in the morning (when the white noise appeared again when on my browser). I turned off Chrome, I turned on the Microsoft Edge and went to Facebook - white noise appeared again. I turned off Microsoft Edge and turned on Groove Music - the white noise appeared again.

What should I do? It's clearly some problem with my audio, isn't it? 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 26th, 2016 19:00

What should I do? It's clearly some problem with my audio, isn't it? 

Have you tested by getting off the internet and playing an audio file from your hard drive?  If you do that and get no noise then the audio hardware is okay, in the sense that it is not generating the noise, for example from a short or electrical interference.

No Events found!