Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RM

June 16th, 2016 11:00

Windows media player for Windows 10 will not show video for .MPG files

I recently purchased a DELL Inspiron 15 7000 series laptop computer.

Windows Media Player for Windows 10 will only play the audio portion of .MPG files. The video portion of the .MPG file will not play. (.MP4 files are working fine)

If I transfer the .MPG file to my (now) old DELL laptop which is running Windows 7, the .MPG files plays both audio and video...as one would expect.

This suggests to me the issue has something to do with the video card in my new DELL Inspiron 15 7000 laptop computer.

How can/do I go about resolving this issue so that I can play .MPG videos on my new DELL laptop?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 16th, 2016 17:00

it looks like it may be missing codecs.  You can look here to download codecs for Windows 10.

I hope that this helps.

TB

June 16th, 2016 19:00

Thank you, very much, TB. Much appreciated.

June 17th, 2016 18:00

Hello TB,

I followed the link you provided and attempted to download the CODEC. However, I received the message that the CODEC was only good for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

I am running Windows 10. Is there a CODEC for Windows 10 you can direct me to?

Sincerely,

Robert

June 20th, 2016 11:00

Thanks so much, TB. I have since downloaded the CODEC pack at the link below and much has improved. I can now open any file in my Media Player.

https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/ 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 20th, 2016 11:00

Lets take a look at what codecs are present and i may be able to help with any missing codecs. 

Open windows media player (just search for media player) 

Click Help and choose "about Windows media player" (click Organize, layout, show menu bar if you cant see help).

Click Technical Support Information under About Windows media player. 

A Support Information page should open where you should be able to find lists for Audio, Video and MPEG codecs. and list the formats that the codecs support. Under Video Codecs do you have the following?

DMO, Mpeg43 Decoder  DMO

DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO

Do you have Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder under MPEG / DVD filters? 

If you haven't already you may need to download the Windows 10 DVD player as well.  Please let me know if the problem continues, what codecs are listed under media player and if you have the DVD player or were able to download it and we can go from there. 

TB

1 Message

November 20th, 2016 07:00

TB, I have the codecs DMO and DTV DTD but still it does not work.. media player does not run the mpg files.

No Events found!